New house - flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vague I know ... but I am due to look at a house built in 2012 with a flat roof (in the flat roof capital of the U.K. .... Cheltenham) - are modern flat rooves an improvement on their counter-parts of years gone by o, or still grief?
How much (if possible) would it be to strip the flat roof off and put on a "proper" roof on an average house? Any info will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Why in gods name would you buy a house built in 2012 and bung a pitched roof on? Utterly bonkers and living in the past.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with flat rooves per se, the workmanship is the key to success. But then that applies to pitched rooves though a flat roof is easier to cock up.

The lifespan will largely depend on the material used. Lead will outlive you as will zinc most likely. Even the cheapest materials should give you 20 odd years, if applied well. But I would expect a new dwelling to have a finish that provides a longer lifespan than that.

So find out what the material/system is.

If it were me and once I'd seen the house if I was still interested, I would be getting a long ladder and having a shimmy up to have a look, then take some photos and post back. Unless you can see it from the ground.

But what I would not be entertaining, is changing it to a pitched roof, I would walk away before that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back