Flat roof houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any opinions on these type of houses?

Theres a small estate of flat roof semis built nearby in about 1960, in a sort of vaguely art-deco style.

An aerial view:
flatroof.jpg

Front view:
frontflatroof.jpg

I have an opportunity to buy one of these houses dirt cheap (first time buyer). I'm going in with my eyes open, fully expecting work needing to be done to the roof. I just wondered if anyone here had any experience of these roofs, and what sort of cost a new roof might cost (in Yorkshire), and average life of them.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Nige. I was thinking the same - it looks very clean and "rubbery".

I have a friend who lives up that end, he says the roofs need re-tarring every 10 years or so? Does there ever come a point when the whole roof must be ripped off and start from scratch?

Personally if I was considering a house with a flat roof, I'd be costing up the price of a full pitch.....just my opinion though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If it wasn't a semi I'd suggest just putting a regular pitched roof on top.

My house (ex land settlement association) had a flat roof for the first 40 years of it's life. in the early 70's when they sold them off they put a pitched roof on top and extended the chimney. So my attic floor is felt and chippings. I need to rip the felt and boards up sometime soon so I can put some insulation between the joists.

Cheers Nige. I was thinking the same - it looks very clean and "rubbery".

I have a friend who lives up that end, he says the roofs need re-tarring every 10 years or so? Does there ever come a point when the whole roof must be ripped off and start from scratch?
Tarring-yes, but this stuff is more durable and maybe re-coat @ 20 years . And can go over existing felt/hot mastic ashfalt ...Ask them ;)

If it wasn't a semi I'd suggest just putting a regular pitched roof on top.

My house (ex land settlement association) had a flat roof for the first 40 years of it's life. in the early 70's when they sold them off they put a pitched roof on top and extended the chimney. So my attic floor is felt and chippings. I need to rip the felt and boards up sometime soon so I can put some insulation between the joists.
:confused: can`t you just lay it over :?:

Then we would have nowhere to store all the wife's boxes of stuff she'll never ever need again :LOL:

Thinking about it though, there is already a strip removed around the edge where the new rafters meet the wall plate. I might get away with just removing a strip down the centre and pulling the insulation in with a draw wire.

Anyway must stop hijacking the post.

Another thought, if this house is "as built" will it have roof insulation? :eek:

And I guess adding insulation will involve taking ceilings down? (If the roof and ceiling are attached to either side of the same joists).

Insulating flatties is not that simple.

First you need to establish whether a warm or cold deck is most suitable. A warm deck is the preferred method because of the ventilation issues surrounding cold deck applications.

The current regs require 125mm of celotex or kingspan.

If you do have the space for fibreglass (250mm+) you could fit this but you would also have to ventilate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back