new house pre-wired for alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a new house and it is pre-wired. I can easily see where the control panel would go and there are 3 or 4 blocks with wiring for the PIR's.
There is a separate trip switch for the alarm in the fuse box.

I don't want anything too fancy but like the idea of some protection, I also like the idea that it could be cheap as chips given that the wiring is already there!

Any idea if this is a suitable DIY project, I'm capable of connecting stuff up but concerned that there may be a lot of setting up of the system.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I would recommend you fit a Texecom alarm system.

They are reliable and well built kit, and come with easy to follow installation and commissioning instructions, which with a little bit of DIY and electrical knowledge you should be able to follow. (You can always ask on here if you get stuck)

The panel you require depends on a few factors. With a bit more info we should be able to advise futher.

One major factor of course is cost, A kit (Which has everything you need in it) may work out cheaper than buying the bits seperatly, providing it meets your installation. It is pointless getting a kit which has more bits than you actually need.

How many PIR detectors, door contacts, panic buttons, shock sensors, etc have been wired for?

How many external bell boxes have been wired?

Is there wiring for an internal speaker?

Is the panel located in a cupboard with a seperate keypad by the door, or is it going to require a combined panel & keypad setup?

Do you want a system with an LCD display screen?

Do you want the system to call / text yours or a relatives mobile if the system goes into alarm mode?

If you're lucky a nice mod may even move this topic to the alarms section :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back