New house rebuilt!

After the builders completed the college I work at they called in a subbie to replace some extra long ceiling tiles they had fitted as a temporary measure before handing over. The subbie came, fitted new framework and cut down some of the old tiles to fit. That section of college is not in use at the moment due to only having 1/3 of student capacity until next September. A few days after the subbies had left the cleaners were going around running taps and flushing toilets. One toilet kept overflowing so I was asked to have a look. Tried a plunger, no luck. Tried the 'sealed plastic bag' trick, still no luck. Got a flexible length of plastic carpet edging but couldn't budge the blockage, it was solid! Original builders had one of their own plumbers come to investigate and he had to take the whole toilet out. Subbie had rammed a load of off cut tiles down the bog and the bloke who patched up some flooring with levelling compound had dumped his excess down there as well. They are now being chased for the cost of the repairs.

Sponsored Links
Surely if they are penny pinching so much they should just make sure it's all done right first time, I presume with each snag a cost is associated with that.
It also can't possibly take that much longer to do it right first time.
I presume they just hope they sell to people that don't really have a clue and just "accept" the builder says it's fine so it is.
Also if there is any structural issues surely these should be picked up by building control during the build. Or do developers have a different set of rules to abide by?
I think part of the problem is so much of the (important) finished product is unseen. For example plumbing, 90% of it is behind walls or under the floor. Window/door installation. Insulation. Most things in a building look 'nice' once decorated.

And also, not sure if this is the way it works, but if a plumber for example is tasked with installing x bathrooms per week, depending on what 'x' is, they might find cutting corners is the only way to come in on time? In other words perhaps the actual trades aren't always directly to blame? Or is that rubbish?

I worked in a house in Richmond, the radiator never worked in one room always stayed cold

the plumber arrived to have a look -he took up the floorboards -the rad tails went through the chipboard floor and stopped in the void -not connected to nothing.

I think part of the problem is so much of the (important) finished product is unseen. For example plumbing, 90% of it is behind walls or under the floor. Window/door installation. Insulation. Most things in a building look 'nice' once decorated.

And also, not sure if this is the way it works, but if a plumber for example is tasked with installing x bathrooms per week, depending on what 'x' is, they might find cutting corners is the only way to come in on time? In other words perhaps the actual trades aren't always directly to blame? Or is that rubbish?

its a sad reflection of new build -trades do labour only quotes and the cheapest gets it -not enough money to do the job properly -or they cant do it properly because scheduling is wrong.

and developers bang them up quickly to convert into money ASAP -to satisfy the bean counters and shareholders

end result: consumer gets years of crap snagging to deal with

Sponsored Links
its a sad reflection of new build -trades do labour only quotes and the cheapest gets it -not enough money to do the job properly -or they cant do it properly because scheduling is wrong.

and developers bang them up quickly to convert into money ASAP -to satisfy the bean counters and shareholders

end result: consumer gets years of crap snagging to deal with
Found this on the net from 2019

Research from the organisation, which represents the interests of homeowners to the house building industry, suggest that only two-thirds of new homeowners are happy with the way their builder resolved any defects with their home.

And even the developers themselves acknowledge the problem.

The Home Builders Federation own satisfaction surveys show a rise in the number of customers reporting snags - from 93% in 2015 to 99% in 2018.

That data comes just weeks after the government said they were considering removing Persimmon from the Help To Buy scheme after increasing concerns over the quality of its building work.

The father of one of my stepsons paid £850k for a new build, (Red***), and it is still have snags done 2 1/2 years later after initially being delayed by 18 months because they were behind schedule on the whole estate. One of the snags I picked up from some pictures they posted on FB were taken during the build. The picture showed a single 13A socket in the hall and the cable was behind some plastic capping. Unfortunately the capping was running up the wall close to 45 degrees. I pointed it out to my stepson and told him they need to correct this before boarding out and plastering. A few weeks later he told me they said they had done it. When we went to visit they had put up a coat rack in the hall on that particular wall. I got my cable finder out my car and started to trace where the cable should have been, i.e. vertically upwards to the ceiling. Less than 6" away from the socket I lost the trace. A bit of sweeping to the right and I picked it up again, going at 45 degrees into the top corner. As I traced the full length we discovered it came within and inch or two of where my stepson had screwed the coat rack to the wall. This time they did re-run it in the correct safe zone, (vertically upwards all the way to the ceiling). They ordered some new built in wardrobes and the fitters found the floor ran ou by over 10mm from front to back. They had to move out when the builders checked the other rooms including the top floor, (3 floor house), and discovered they were all running out of tolerance and needed to be rectified. There were other numerous snags that were picked up once they engaged the services of a professional de-snagger. Some are still awaiting remedial work to be done and now they have discovered that some houses further up the road are having to be completely re-built because the mortar mix was too weak and is crumbling away.

I imagine there are plenty of chancers on here.
Where are the trained, skilled workers ?
-0-

I served a five year apprenticeship as an armature winder/electrical fitter followed by around 40 years gaining experience and knowledge along the way each day.
Not much use when it comes to building houses I admit, but some of the things you learn along the way can be adapted to suit other problems you may encounter in life.

I worked in a house in Richmond, the radiator never worked in one room always stayed cold

the plumber arrived to have a look -he took up the floorboards -the rad tails went through the chipboard floor and stopped in the void -not connected to nothing.
Like I say, it's the stuff we can't see :)

Than if course there are the diy ers who spend years bodging up there own houses that than get flogged onto to some unsuspecting person

some of these bone eads should never be allowed to change a light bulb let alone refurbish there house :LOL:

I have seen a 4 inch soil pipe notched across joists and it had a fall on it :LOL:

and some of the electrics well jeez us wept :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back