New house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking into planning permission for a house on 8 acres that we own. What would a rough cost for a 2 bed cottage or bungalow be? We're both in our 50s so no kids to allow for but may need space for the mum-in-law in the future. It will be an outside chance the application will be successful but there's no harm in costing up the job. I know it's a big variable but a very rough cost would help us work out time to build with or without a mortgage. Thanks Phil.

Sponsored Links
Our house is worth 150k so may be possible to do with no mortgage?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddie we probably won't get planning but want to find out definitely one way or the other . The last thing we want is to sell as agricultural land and then see a house on the plot.

If I knew that I'd have priced it exactly. Obviously

See, that's the problem with you Freddie, you just don't ask the right questions. So, you obviously failed the police interrogation test as well.

And Phil, have you had an informal chat with the planning department yet. They might just laugh at you, or they may give you guidance as to what they might accept. From there you can have a chat with an architect, and he/she should give you a rough idea of costings.

Of course you can get rid of the mortgage, but you might want something better on that size land.

When we bought the land 17 years ago the vendor said there would be a clause put in if we had building permission but when we signed there was no clause.
We applied for a barn and a block of three stables and the architect said we probably would't get permission as it was an empty field with no buildings at all. The planning came through no problem but when a site visit took place the planning officer said we would never get planning for a dwelling. In Wales there is now a scheme for building in the countryside as long as the land will supply 60 percent of your annual income so may look into this .

From what i've read it seems you have 3 years to show the 60 percent income. If you fail I presume the house has to go !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back