Process of Quoting for a House Extension?

With very limited experience apart from having spoken to others, I was always told £1k - £1.5k per sqm. Will the extension be a square box built out of rendered block or a fancy dan complex design with a whole host of complex works, deep foundations, drainage rerouting, blah blah....

Sponsored Links
Its ok :) i seriously had no idea. I said it could be anything between 20k and 60k for all i know. Obviously the cheaper the more likely it would be to have done but now im thinking its probably cleaner and less stressful to move to a 4 bed instead at some point, cost wise probably wouldnt be much different

I've seen quotes vary by as much as £30k for a two story extension. There are ways to bring a price down, but you need a clued up and tuned in designer, and a good proper builder.

You cut back on stuff that is not needed and specify more keenly. It does not mean a crap job either. But there will be a minimum cost, and that's not to say that builders will be quoting at that price at that time you ask for quotes.

Everything needs to align and go according to plan. Most of the time that don't happen though, so you need a contingency.

If you need to now a more precise price you could look for a similar extension going up and make some enquiries. Or pay a quantity surveyor for an estimate based on what you would want and some dimensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back