Architect for Porch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum wants a porch. House is detached and about 10 metres back from the road.

Is it the norm to get an architect to do a porch design? we want it to match the house. If we just get builders round to quote, everyone is going to be quoting on their own ideas so it makes sense to get an architect, correct?

Any ideas how much an architect would charge to design a porch on a small 3 bed detached? (yorhshire).

Sponsored Links
Usually £300-500 to do the survey + £300-500 for drawings (or less). About a grand probably

Take a photo of a porch that you want and say to a builder "Build this". Ot just do a rough sketch.

Planning regulations should not apply if you keep to a certain size, (research this) and building regs wont apply if you keep the existing front door to separate the porch from the house.

Get itemised quotes so that you can easily compare like for like if the builders give differing material options.

It would be so quick and easy for any plan drawer to do this, that it would be rude to charge more than £200. They would not even need to visit, probably get the picture from street view, and then just draw a box on the front.

The specification will be standard, which they will cut and paste from the last job they did.

Sponsored Links
It would be so quick and easy for any plan drawer to do this, that it would be rude to charge more than £200. They would not even need to visit, probably get the picture from street view, and then just draw a box on the front.

The specification will be standard, which they will cut and paste from the last job they did.

I was under the impression that full scale plans are necessary for even the most small scale building work ?

My quote was based on a full survey of the whole property in and out for plans to then be drawn up.

So on the basis of someone throwing something on the back of a napkin then no that doesn't apply. Just ignore everything I've said please.

I built a porch from bricks that were previously a neighbours wall.

I read the planning portal, did a sketch and got someone to built it.

If under 3m2 external size no planning needed.
Get a quote from a few local window company's as well as builders (avoid the big national company's!).
Window company's should have software to do a small diagram to help you choose a design.

I build plenty of porches. Just finished a nice oak fella on Friday.

They can either complement a building or look completely shoite. The most common mistakes made are to do with the roof. To steep or too shallow a pitch are common mistakes as are zero soffit, wrong tiles, wrong roof design i.e. building a hip roof when it just looks completely wrong with big clunky ridged hips etc. Wrong soffit height is also a common mistake.

Another thing people do is turn a storm porch into something fully enclosed. This means that no one has anywhere to shelter (including the occupants) when its piddling it down and are ringing the door bell or fumbling for keys.

What you need is a builder or a designer with a bit of nous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back