New idea - Feedback required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIY people!

We have very new concept to help with hanging pictures, mirrors, tv brackets etc, on walls.
The product is a hand-held projector, that shows an outline/silhouette of whatever you are hanging up, to the exact dimensions.

Product Definition:
-Handheld + tripod
-Camera sized
-Automatically adjusts projection according to distance from the wall.
-Computer program to design/download shapes.
-Show where to put the nails. (E.g. for pictures, tv brackets etc)
-Screen on the back. (To input dimensions, and show album of designs to project).

We think that it would be particularly useful for people to use before purchasing a certain product, to envisage what it would look like or whether it would fit on the wall space.

Would you be tempted at all to buy? How much would you pay?
Any feedback would be very useful.

Regards,
James

Sponsored Links
You might get some interior designers interested as they could use it over and over again. But I can't see many DIYers going for it as it would only get occassional use, so unless it was really cheap I don't think many would be tempted. A tape measure does much of what you describe.

But that's just me perhaps.

Yep it all comes down to price. If your market is DIY its almost a throw away item as its likely to be used once and then left to cover dust.
For those of us in a trade we're more likely to use a laser level or spirit level, tape measure and pencil.
Good luck tho

Oh, and i wouldn't want to pay more than £20 but if i watched a demo could be tempted to part with more, certainly wouldn't pay more than fifty and for that money i'd expect it to be 'trade standard' i.e. rugged, easy to clean and able to be left in the van without being affected by damp and cold etc

Sponsored Links
Hi James

The option to show multiple outlines at once, in a stair well with multiple pictures/paintings of different sizes (for example) running down the stairs would be very useful.

Ultimately I find that the client wants you to physically hold the item up so that they can see what it looks like.

Good luck.

In principal it's a very good idea. Would be useful as a template for marking fixings for larger heavy objects.

However, DIYers wouldn't need it often. And most tradesmen wouldn't want the fuss of setting it up or the loss of valuable space in the van. Most tradesmen will have the experience of positioning fittings on walls and ceilings.

I imagine a lot of setting up will be required to get accuracy on the wall or ceiling in question. Maybe this product would have a use on very large scale building work like huge hotels where a lot of repititive work is done, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Where you put the picture hook(s) for a pic or a mirror depends also on how much sag there is in the string or wire. How would your product know that?

Sounds like a hammer to crack a nut to me.

I have been working on a solution that involves a much simpler piece of kit. Seems to work for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back