new indirect cyl - copper or stainless steel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace my 36x18 copper indirect cyl for the 3rd time in 36 yrs. Hard water plays havoc here even though I have my boiler temp cranked down to 65 (brrrr) and one of those electric magebtic coil thingies on the rising main.

I see Screwfix have stainless versions: Sounds like a better proprosiiton? - any views /snags. What about dissimilar metals at the joints?

Also , I believe Regs have changed for thermostats in immersion htrs so I should not use my old stat even if it fits?

Sponsored Links
Get SS. Use an insertion stat for the cylinder, not a clamp on - a probe.

You might want to fit a direct cylinder without a coil. Then fit a plate heat exchanger and brass pump to heat the cylinder. The recovery rate is amazing compared to a coil and you can downsize the cylinder saving on the purchase. The boiler and cylinder combine to supply hot water.

Control the cylinder to no more than 55C with the thermostat above the coil, and it should last longer. Stainless should be more durable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back