New integrated washing machine - Door Fitting help needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
New washing machine is in situ and all working well.
Now it's time fit the cabinet door. Thought this would be simple.... oh no and its driving me mad.
I've looked at the machine door template but don't know how to use it. There's no instructions for that.
I've already filled in the 'old' hinge holes with two part wood filler which worked very well.
I need a foolproof method of aligning and drilling (i've purchased a 35mm drill) the new hinge holes.
It seems to me that they have to be spot on but how do I acheive this?
I bet all the kitchen fitters are chuckling ;)
There must be a "sinple" way so if anyone can throw me a rope and help me out id be very grateful.
Thank you in advance and take care.
Andy

Sponsored Links
Measure down from the underside of the worktop to the middle of the hinge fittings on the washing machine, make allowances for the door clearance at the top.

Mark off those points on the door.

Then use a combi-square

(others are available)

Normally, the edge of the hole should be 4mm from the edge of the door. 35/2=17.5, add 4mm and you should centre the 35mm drill bit at 21.5mm.

I normally drill a 2mm hole first for the spike on the 35mm bit to follow.

If you aren't feeling very confident, visit a local timber merchant, get them to cut a scrap of 18mm MDF to the height of the door (it doesn't need to be full width, 15cm will be fine), you can then practice on that.

Once you start drilling, use the combi-square to see if you are deep enough.

BTW, use a proper hinge cutter bit and not a spade bit. The spike on the spade bit will pop out of the other side of the door.

Rather than

I hope that the above makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Your hinge cutter should be fine. As you drill down, pull the bit up and suck or blow away the waste from time to time.

My cutter of choice is the Makita one, by sight, I know that I need to go about 5mm deeper than the overall height of the bit. Your's may be different though.

Best o' luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back