new internal doors; pre-hung or pay a chippie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys. I'm doing up my 1950's house and the six internal doors are pretty shabby looking. I want to replace them with new pre-primed doors. I'd have a go at hanging them myself but think I'll end up messing up the hinge rebating.

The door frames aren't in bad condition as I've just removed the paint off one of them and there was only two coats - lazy previous owners.

So should I have a go myself or pay a chippie to do it? If so how long would u guys take to do a door; fit hinges and handle.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Haveing done it myself...if you can aford it pay someone to do it!, they will make it look easy, which is very deceptive indeed.

Those shabby doors might be ok with a new coat of paint and hardware, my friend moved house today and all her doors look pretty shabby too, but they are built to last, solid!

The house belonged to an elderly lady who hadn't had anything done or replaced since the house was built, all original features.

She plans to get them dipped n stripped and just repaint them, they are certainly better made than anything you can buy off the shelf, especially those pre painted cheapie doors you get from the sheds, our upstairs doors are all from Wickes and most of them are warped and full of knots!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back