New internal lintel install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to pick people's brains on propping for a lintel, please. Am I OK to prop joists directly, as described below? If not, what's the "right" answer?

Details.

SWMBO and I moved last year, to a mid-70s dormer bungalow. We're looking to widen an existing internal doorway into an archway about twice the width. Good builders with time right now seem rarer than hens' teeth, and the change is on the critical path of our "big project", so it looks like I get to do it. And I want to make sure I don't anything really stupid when I prop to swap in the new lintel.

The opening we want to widen is ground floor, in a single skin block wall. The wall ends at ceiling height, and is directly under the "wall" studwork of the dormer rooms above. The joists (400mm spacing) run across the wall to where the outer wall originally was (as part of a previous extension, that's now an RSJ; original roof structure is intact).

Now - we don't THINK the wall is load-bearing. When we were talking possibilities, we had a structural engineer take a quick look, and he reckoned that it "almost certainly isn't, but you'd probably put in a lintel anyway". And I've had plaster off, so I can see that the existing lintel over the doorway is a "light use" style, which seems to back that up. Mind, I can also just see the actual joists; they pass 10mm above the wall, but appear to be at least contacting it via some sort of packing. Well - we can't afford to assume, so we'll treat it as though it's bearing some load at least anyway. And I'm wondering how best to prop it while I'm inserting the (1800mm, probably box steel) lintel.

One side of the wall is a concrete float and plenty of access. The other side is chipboard over joists and restricted space (foot of the stairs tight at one side, cupboard at the other; new lintel will overlap the stairs foot). The "best" idea I've had so far is to use acrows to run a scaffolding board or similar across under the overhead joists close to the wall on the concrete side, and support them directly. But I don't know whether propping on one side alone like that is enough to do the job; if it is, how close to the wall I need to keep them; or if it isn't, the best way to go about it.

Thoughts/advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you're keeping some masonry above the new lintel then this will need to be propped while you make the new opening.
A couple of strongboys from the side of the wall with the concrete slab will be fine.

There's currently a single course of full-size blocks above/in the existing lintel; nowhere to tuck a strongboy. Ideally I'd like to take those out, build up the piers and put the new lintel in closer to the joists to gain a little more headroom under the arch. But I can see that that would mean having all the joists supported by the (offset) acrows, if I did it the way I mentioned.

I guess I'm just asking what the "right" way to prop is.

Last edited:
Timber board and three props to be on the safe side, a foot away will be fine but no reason you can't go closer if you're working from the other side.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and don't "over wind" the acrows - you want to support, not lift, and consider putting something - thin cardboard or an old towel between board and ceiling to avoiding damage.

If the wall is not loadbearing, then there is nothing to prop! :rolleyes:

If you need to prop then the wall is load bearing and the support needs to be adequate and considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back