New(ish) EATON MEM Memsheild 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, having fitted MEM as a preffered brand for years, we started to use the Memshield 3 when it came out.

We said from the start we thought the quality was lower, the steel cover being flimsy and trickier to fit.

The MCB's are made by a different company (Moeller apparently).

97717.jpg

Yesterday I went to a site where we fitted a couple new TP Memshield boards to look at a fault. No power to some lights. On opening the DB an MCB had tripped, and so (as you do) quickly turned it on to see if it was simply a matter of a dodgy bulb causing it to trip.

Unfortunately there was a fault due to a damaged cable, and the MCB tripped, spewing orange sparks out of the toggle of the MCB almost like the sparks you see on the TV talent shows! The MCB was obviously fried, but oddly, the two either side of it were faulty too - they would no longer turn on.

So three new MCB's later I am wondering if these new MCBs are actually capable of safely interrupting a 10kA fault current! The fault current at the DB is know where near the 10kA!

Sponsored Links
It always surprised me why people have gone for MS3, the quality is just not there compared to MS2 - why not just go for MG / Schn never ever had a problem.

EDIT: That's for commercial / industrial - no idea what makes house bashers use.

A 10kA device must break a 10kA fault but it might not work afterwards, the value which is remains serviceable iirc is somewhere around 7.5kA, I'm pretty sure this is in the on site guide but don't have mine to hand.

I just hope Schneider/MG never go down the same route of making things cheaper.

Sponsored Links
For whats supposedly a premium brand, was never totally impressed with them, even in the MS2 days, allright for a board of simple MCBs, but didn't like the MS2 rcbos at all, found it very difficult to connect the outgoing live, unless done with the device out of the board, never liked the fact that you can't test them at the board either. And those new MS3 devices just loom cheap and nasty...

I think given the choice I'd prefer to use dorman smith over MEM! and cheaper as well

Merlin Gerin best though if the money is in for it!

I'd be tempted to send the MCB back to them with a letter requesting they investigate the issue....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back