New isolator switch install - new one different to old!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have purchased a new shiny isolator switch for our ensuite - it powers the electric shower and fan.

The old is a different layout to the new.

NEW FRONT:
upload_2020-3-5_19-51-37.png

NEW REAR: (Between the L2's it says "1 way use L1")
upload_2020-3-5_19-52-25.png

OLD REAR:
upload_2020-3-5_19-53-27.png

The old one has L1 (one red wire), L2 (two red wires), N1 (1 black wire), N2 (2 black wires) and earth.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Colin

Sponsored Links
Your new switch has three switches - L1, L2 & N. - your old one only has two - L & N
Three are needed if the fan has a timer.

There's no reason why it should say 1WAY USE L1. It is just three separate switches operated at the same time by one rocker.
Use L1 or L2 for the reds and N for the blacks.

I presume it is a power shower, not an electrically heated instant shower.

Your new switch has three switches - L1, L2 & N. - your old one only has two - L & N
Three are needed if the fan has a timer.

There's no reason why it should say 1WAY USE L1. It is just three separate switches operated at the same time by one rocker.
Use L1 or L2 for the reds and N for the blacks.

I presume it is a power shower, not an electrically heated instant shower.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The fan doesn't have a timer, goes off when you pull the cord. The shower is an Aqualisa Quartz Electric 10.5 shower.

So I assume you mean put 1 red wire in one of the L1 and 2 red wires in the other L1? Same for N - 1 black wire in one of them and 2 black wires in the other N?

EFL is correct.

What has happened is the manufacturers have used the same moulding for a 3gang 2way switch and for this switch to save money. It's a bit naughty but...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply!

The fan doesn't have a timer, goes off when you pull the cord. The shower is an Aqualisa Quartz Electric 10.5 shower.

So I assume you mean put 1 red wire in one of the L1 and 2 red wires in the other L1? Same for N - 1 black wire in one of them and 2 black wires in the other N?
Alarm bells ringing, that is a 10.5KW shower unit and must not be connected to that switch.

And the wiring in that picture is not thick enough. the old switch is rated at 32A which is presumably why it has failed.

It could potentially become part of this thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/electrical-fault-definition.540177/page-4#post-4568292

I hope he reads these before replacing the switch.

Can't see how that old switch has been wired to a 10.5 KW shower. Probably just the light and fan.
As others have said above ,if it is wired to the shower stop using it ,and do not fit the new one either.

Alarm bells ringing, that is a 10.5KW shower unit and must not be connected to that switch.

And the wiring in that picture is not thick enough. the old switch is rated at 32A which is presumably why it has failed.

It could potentially become part of this thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/electrical-fault-definition.540177/page-4#post-4568292
Sorry, where have I said it has failed? It hasn't - I am just updating the switch to a modern day one after decorating. The shower is fed back to the Consumer Unit on it's own circuit.

There is a pull cord for the shower and another pull cord for the fan.

And when the isolator that you are changing is switched off ,your electric shower still works ,does it not ? If so ,as
I said above ,the shower isn't wired through that switch.

And when the isolator that you are changing is switched off ,your electric shower still works ,does it not ? If so ,as
I said above ,the shower isn't wired through that switch.
Terry,

Correct - I've just tested and the pull cord light stays on and shower works when the isolator is off.

Ok. Now that's clarified ,you can use the new switch and the connections are as you outlined in your post of 8.14 pm.
Regards Terry.

Great, thanks for clarifying Terry.
I shall swap the switches at the weekend and feedback on how it goes.

Thanks also to others over their concerns, my fault for not explaining the setup correctly, apologies for that.

Sorry, where have I said it has failed?
There is a pull cord for the shower and another pull cord for the fan.
Ah you haven't, my apologies. But you did write this:
it powers the electric shower and fan.
So I make no apologies for shouting loud. And I thank others for doing the same as it appeared the setup was very wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back