Light switch with L1, L2, N1, N2 only (no common)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Seen a number of threads similar to this, and would appreciate some help!

I have a new light switch, which has L1, L2, N1 & N2, but no common.

The existing wires (ignoring the earth) are Red (live), a second red which is in a grey outer (presume another live), and a black/blue (presume neutral).

How should that be wired? I want to use it in a 1-switch room.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The existing wires (ignoring the earth) are Red (live), a second red which is in a grey outer (presume another live), and a black/blue (presume neutral).
You can't assume that blue or black conductors are neutrals! It's very common to use the blue/black conductor in a twin and earth cable as a switched live conductor. While such conductors should be marked with tape or sleeving this doesn't always happen in the real world.

Do you still have the old switch? do you remember how it was connected?

Sponsored Links
Hi folks

Thanks for the help, and apologies to multiple helpful ideas that I didn't reply to.

When I looked, and one poster suggested it wasn't a light switch, I realised that was 100% true! So for speed, and £1.50 I went back to the shop, and bought the 'right' item... A single light switch!

Thanks a million!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back