Lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am trying to replace my existing plastic light switches with brass ones. I've swapped a few by doing like for like wiring. However when I removed my bathroom light switch it was different. On the back of the light switch, it has L1 L2 N1 and N2.

The bathroom light is made up of 2 lights. So I have 2 lights controlled by 1 single switch. As for the wiring, 1 brown wire into L1, 1 blue wire into L2, 3 brown wires into N1 and 1 brown wire into N2 and an earth connected to the switch plate.

The brass switches I have only have com, 1way and 2way. Can I not use my brass switch? What switch would I have to get instead?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a fan in there too? Anyway, sounds like you need a double pole switch (isn't it a pullcord - unless it is in zone 3+ ??)

There is an extractor fan in the bathroom too, but thats controlled by a different switch.

The light switch isn't a pullcord. The light looks like a ceiling rose but it has 2 bulb holders inside it.

Sponsored Links
Trying to think why the DP too, what else is in there that switches on with the light, heated mirror??

Nothing else switches on. Only the lights.

There are other things in the bathroom but they all have their own switches.

Would I be able to swap the DP switch to a single standard swith that only has com,L1 and L2?

You could go and buy a double pole switch and replace like for like. It would be better though to fully understand the wiring. Have you got the means to test the wiring and find out which wire goes where? Have a look at the wiring inside the ceiling 'rose'. Does the fan definitely work without turning on the light?

I doubt it very much, it has had a DP switch installed for a reason. If you replace it make sure the replacement one is the same or larger rating than the existing one. Can you double check, 1 brown in N2? Is the switch outside the bathroom?

If you do decide to DIY, before touching the old switch, make double sure with a meter that all terminals are dead. Set your meter to a range suitable to measure 240vAC. Check the meter works at a known source. Use one probe to earth and the other to probe each terminal in turn at the switch. Check your meter is still working on a known source.

I've just looked inside the ceiling rose and there are quite a few wires inside. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Yes the switch is outside the bathroom and only one brown in N2

BTW be careful about converting to a single switch. If you have two separately fused circuits in the switch you'll be linking them both together - not a good idea!

Yes, please. Take one of the inside of the DP switch as well as the ceiling wiring if you can. Turn off the power first!!

As I edited in above, remember to check the power is off with a meter before touching any terminals.

Check with one probe on N too, in case the cpc has gone down....

To upload an image;
Go to a hosting site such as imageshack: http://imageshack.us/
Click browse and locate the image. Ensure resize image is ticked and select 640 x 480 (for message boards). Click host it.
After the image has uploaded imageshack displays a list of links to the image. Highlight the text in the line at the bottom of the screen "direct link to image" and copy the text (press CTRL C to copy).
On your post type
size]
and insert the text from imageshack inbetween the two (press CTRL V to paste), so it reads something like:
dolrwo4.jpg

When you submit your post the image should now appear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back