Lighting problem

A_guy_in_the_UK said:
sparkyspike said:
Are you absolutely certain the fan can run with the light off?

Yeah im certain because the light is off now and the fan is running.

Is that just the timer over-run though?

Can you make the fan go without turning the light on at all?

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
A_guy_in_the_UK said:
sparkyspike said:
Are you absolutely certain the fan can run with the light off?

Yeah im certain because the light is off now and the fan is running.

Is that just the timer over-run though?

Can you make the fan go without turning the light on at all?

Yeah I can. I don't believe the fan would be connected to the light because the fan has its own switch.

Has the bathroom had anything done to it in the last year or two? Looks like the wiring is recent (2005 onwards?)

No, its a new build apartment. So I am the first owner to have lived in it. The aprtment was only built a year or two ago.

Sponsored Links
In which case I would go and buy a DP 20A switch to match your other switches and be done with it. :D

Yes thats what I thought, but the problem is the range of switches I bought do not have a DP 20A switch in their range :(

Are there any alternative switches I could use?

Post us the make and a photo of one of your other switches.

We may be able to tell you where to get one from.

Without fully identifying which cable does what, it's not possible to advise. If you can rack your brains as to what device this switch could control it would help alot. It MAY be possible to fit a 2 gang lightswitch, but a 20A DP would probably have been fitted for a reason. Don't change it unless you're certain what all the wires do!

OK I'll try locate a 20A DP that looks similar to the ones I have bought already. Thank all of you for your time and help.

One more quick question. Its seem difficult to find a 20A DP in polished brass without neon. Would I be able to buy the neon one and use it without the neon? Would the wiring be a straight swap or are the neon switch plates different to the plates without neon?

Those 2 links to switches are no good as the switches I am looking for are all brass. So the actual switch has to be brass too. I'll try a few shops today to see what I can find.

Can you post a picture of one of your existing switches you are trying to match? What make are they?

From the John Lewis link

Gang refers to the number of switches on the switch plate.

Way refers to the number of switches chosen to activate the light. Any light controlled by one switch is one way. Any light controlled by two switches requires a two way switch (eg one at the foot of the stairs and one at the top).

So does one need three way switches when there are three switches controlling one lamp ? And four way when there are four switches etc etc

I thought it was two two ways and as many intermediates as necesssary to make up number 3 and above.

<< Note this was sarcasm at badly worded information >>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back