New Kitchen and smoke/heat alarms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have new kitchen extension and need to look at the electrics, told I will need heat alarm for kitchen and smoke top and bottom hallways all linked, have seen wireless units, do these negate the need to link the units via hard wiring.?

Sponsored Links
Wireless units don't need wires to link them, hence the name....

Wasn't sure if this was just a back up feature like battery, in case link wire was damaged.
So they meet regs?
Recommend any particular brand?

Not sure about regs. Do you need these alarms specifically to meet regs, due to layout of building? That's beyond my knowledge.

I think these "cheap", "DIY" alarms have been improving significantly over the last few years so I would not rely much on any recommendations unless they are recent. For example when I moved here 4 years ago I think the few battery-operated wireless alarms had very poor battery life. Now they seem to claim 10 years on a pre-installed lithium battery. I think it's very impressive to run a radio received continuously for that long.

Sponsored Links
I have changed a few '10 years guaranteed' models after just a year or so due to failed batteries.

Never use wireless anything if wired is an option.
Couldn't agree more, and especially when it's something like an alarm system where safety is paramount. The extra time and effort needed to run the wiring is well worth it.
Would mean ripping up all the floors [and flooring] or running cable around the entire length of the property, seems an extreme measure ?

It's been a while since I bought these unit but Aico were a cheap and functional unit a few years ago.
I would advise wired power with battery backup.

Wired linking could well be a PITA so as long as the regs allow it I would not rule out wireless for the linking.

Wired linking could well be a PITA
So could funerals after a wired interlink failure.
Lets get real here - most people can't be arsed to replace the batteries in their battery operated smoke alarm and wouldn't know what a heat sensor alarm is let alone installed one.
Being realistic about an installation gets the job done rather than debated about and postponed, causing more danger.

There's no reason why being realistic cannot include being realistic about the reliability of wireless connections.

Please Note: These units use the radio-interlink frequency 868.499MHz. This bandwidth is restricted for safety products, therefore the chances of interference should be limited.
Limited but not totally excluded.
Since blocking devices that are designed to disrupt 868.xxx MHz can be bought on the internet the possibility of interference that blocks a fire/smoke/heat alarm message is ( for my safety ) too high and therefore wired interlinking is the only option I would use.

Since blocking devices that are designed to disrupt 868.xxx MHz can be bought on the internet the possibility of interference that blocks a fire/smoke/heat alarm message is ( for my safety ) too high and therefore wired interlinking is the only option I would use.
Ditto. I won't compromise the integrity of the system, and hence safety, for the sake of a little effort to run cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back