New Kitchen Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am about to fit a new kitchen and have a few questions:

Currently I have 5 double sockets in the kitchen that are all spurs dropped down the walls from the upstairs ring main, I will need to move these and add 3 more.
I am thinking of using a 2.5mm cable (that used to supply an immersion heater) and from this converting all the kitchen sockets to a radial circuit protected by its own 20A mcb in the consumer unit. In total I will have 8 double sockets and the total cable run will be 10m from the cu to the last socket.
I know the best solution would be to convert it to a separate ring main but getting the return cable back to the consumer unit is extremely difficult without major redecoration work (which like an idiot I have just completed)
Is the radial circuit idea okay or should I run a new ring?

I will be installing 4 integrated appliances that mean that the sockets will be hidden behind the new units, is it a good idea to fit double pole switches in an accessible place just in case I have to isolate quickly.
The reason for asking is that the switches are going to look a bit of an eyesore and my initial thoughts were not to go this way.

I will also need to bond the new plumbing pipework, where should I tie in the earth cable?

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of using a 2.5mm cable (that used to supply an immersion heater) and from this converting all the kitchen sockets to a radial circuit protected by its own 20A mcb in the consumer unit. In total I will have 8 double sockets and the total cable run will be 10m from the cu to the last socket.

Thats not a problem, or you could just extend the upstairs ringmain to include the kitchen.
Dont forget it's notifiable work (part P)

Hello All

I am about to fit a new kitchen and have a few questions:

Currently I have 5 double sockets in the kitchen that are all spurs dropped down the walls from the upstairs ring main, I will need to move these and add 3 more.

not good... a kitchen takes quite a bit of power these days..

I know the best solution would be to convert it to a separate ring main but getting the return cable back to the consumer unit is extremely difficult without major redecoration work (which like an idiot I have just completed)

happens to the best of us... best laid plans of mice and men and all that.. ;)

Is the radial circuit idea okay or should I run a new ring?

a new ring would be the best idea if you can manage it.. and a seperate radial for the appliances ( or just use the proposed radial for the appliances and leave the general use sockets as they are.. )

I will be installing 4 integrated appliances that mean that the sockets will be hidden behind the new units, is it a good idea to fit double pole switches in an accessible place just in case I have to isolate quickly.
The reason for asking is that the switches are going to look a bit of an eyesore and my initial thoughts were not to go this way.

yes you need switches above the counter for emergency switching.. after all, you'll be leaving them on all the time otherwise and wasting electricity..:)

I will also need to bond the new plumbing pipework, where should I tie in the earth cable?

Providing the water and gas are bonded where they enter the house ( within 600mm of the consumer side of any meter or stop tap ) then no further bonding is needed in the kitchen.... if the gas and water enter the house in the kitchen ( as many do.. ) then bond as above.. with 10mm cable straigt back to the board..

you either need to use 2 wires ( one for each service ) or if they are close to each other you can use a single wire providing that is "continuous" along it's length.. ( IE you loop it round the screw on the clamp for one and continue it to the other.. .. another way which qualifies as "continuous" is to use crimp on ring connections.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back