new kitchen doors too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have bought replacement doors for my kitchen units, however, ther are 15mm too small compared to my existing carcases. Can i cut the 15 mm off the sides of the carcases at highest point, then replace with the top covering, and fit the new doors?

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt it be easy to take the doors back & get the correct size.
Im guessing you cant take them back, so if thats the case why not say that if not.Opps

too short top to bottom you mean?

wall or floor units?

how are your units made? rigid glued joints, cams, dowels or cheap screws?

what colour are the doors? you might be OK putting a matching fillet at the top of the opening

they are cam and dowel units.

Cant take the doors back, anyway they are standard size, its the untis that are different from the norm.

The doors are high gloss black

Sponsored Links
cam and dowel will be difficult to cut down.

how about a bit of matching trim to hide the gap?

was going to take the top off with the cams, cut the sides 15mm, then re-dowel and cam, would this work?

I think you would do better to add an infill of 15mm under the worktop. But remember this will need to be the same thickness of the door, i.e. if the new doors arec18mm thick then the infill will need to be 18 x 15mm and if the new doors are 22mm then the infill will need to be 22 x 15mm.

I will do a drawing a little later to explain a little better.

what do you mean by doing infill?

What about the wall units also?

for the wall units, a strip of that ornamental coving stuff they put on top of cabinets, but fixed to hide the gap. Or if you put a piece of 18mm sq, painted gloss black, to fill the gap, it will probably not be visible, and will in any case be well out of line of sight.

many many thanks guys, might have saved me a lot of work and money!

you many not notice to much if the door is 15mm short that will be 7mm top and bottom

as the carcase is likly to be 15mm that still leaves around 7mm overlap!!!

but what ever you do fit a door to see how it hangs before taking any further action ;)

yeah, i hung a doot, but with it being gloss black, and the carcass is white, the 7mm top and bottom looked well wrong, will go for the infill, reckon if i by another plinth that would give me the wood needed for the infill

the chances off you cutting 5mm strips from chipboard without breaking are not good

may be easier to cut 5mm strips from edging roll and affix to 5mm timber!!!

another thought would be because its only 5mm[+2mm clearence] is to face all the cabiner face edges so no white showing

was going to do it as infill, just have 15mm of the plinth at top of the units

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back