New kitchen extension concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very tiny kitchen in a 1930s end of terrace and I'm planning to have an extension built on to lengthen it and then build out widthways too, to extend the main house.
Under the lino in the kitchen is the original tiled floor- same as in the hallway. My builder says this has to come up and be replaced with a concrete floor so it matches with the extension. He did give a structural reason why they had to be the same but it went a little over my head.

Does this really need to happen?

I plan to floor the whole area including the original kitchen with ceramic tiles.

Sponsored Links
Chances are, those tiles are straight onto soil. I've seen this before, with screed applied over the top. The damp just eats through the screed and it falls apart. It needs to come up, and dug out to give a reliable foundation. You could try taking a tile up and having a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back