New Kitchen extractor fan for condensation

7 Feb 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice.
I have an old 1930's kitchen, single brick outer wall two sides. It gets cold in the winter and when cooking I get condensation. I'm starting to get a damp smell in the room.

I do have an under cabinet fan heater in the room to take the chill off, and I only have a recirculating cooker hood because the cooker is against the interior wall there is nowhere to vent directly. Hence I plan to install an extractor on the opposite exterior wall.

1) Bathoorm vs. Kitchen extractors
There seem to be two types bathroom or kitchen.
The Bathroom are ~100mm dia. or Kitchen 150mm dia.
Is the main difference the amount of airflow? Do I need 150mm? I plan to get a humidisat version.

2) Do I need to be any more careful using larger core drill than 100mm? I'm nervous about drilling such a large hole in the wall.

3) Any more tips or considerations?


Sponsored Links
You need a powerful extractor if you have thin cold external walls. I would not bother with a humidisat version, by the time it's triggered the walls could be dripping. If you intend to stay put consider dry lining the cold walls with thermal plasterboard.
You can fit a reducer on a 150mm fan so it expels thru a 100mm vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links