New kitchen. Full height fridge unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had new kitchen units delivered 2 of which are identical tall (full height) base units one for a built in double oven, the other for a full height (1772mm high) larder fridge. Also extra decor panels for each.

The oven will go straight into the housing, but the fridge will require me to remove the 2 shelves and possibly the back panel?? leaving me with a cabinet that will probably need bracing for strength. My question is: because I have bought 18mm thick decor panels and doors, should I have made a cabinet from these bearing in mind all I need is a base, a top, bracing pieces and legs.

Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
If your wall cabinets and base units, are plumb with each other (where the tall unit is going) you can fix the tall unit to both the wall and base units on one side at least. Your tall unit will determine the height you fix wall units at anyway.
I had to build a tall wall unit last year, similar to the situation you describe (was to hide a combi boiler though) and the back had to come out of the unit.
I fixed it to the adjacent wall and base units, then used the feet to level the unit (carefully worked out what height the wall units would be at though)

Cheers John, that fixing would help to make the unit more rigid, but would you still use the remaining 4 sides of the unit + decor panels (having removed all of the shelves & back panel) or would you just use the decor panels and make a bottom & top (I can return the unit if I don't need it)

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Depends if they are decor panels or clad on panels. Decor panels, usually have the exact same holes in them as the ordinary end panels and are a straight replacement of an end panel (except their colour matched) Clad on end panels are used to cloak the end panel and are screwed on to the end panel from the inside.
Certainly clad on panels would add a small amount of rigidity to the unit. Decor end panels probably wouldn't but will look much better than the plain white of the usual units. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back