New Kitchen - Gaps for Appliances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of planning a new kitchen which I plan to fit this coming spring (replacing my boiler first so waiting until the heating isn't needed anymore).

One thing that has struck me, naturally I'm trying to line up the wall cabinets with the base cabinets so all the doors are symmetric, however what do I do about freestanding appliances?

I need to accomodatea washing machine and a dishwasher amidst a cupboard run. Now if I allow a gap that matches the wall cabinets i.e. 2 x 60cm, that's not going to allow enough room to slide in two 60cm wide appliances is it, particularly given the amount a washing machine vibrates...

What do people normally do and how much gap do I need for a washing machine for example?

Sponsored Links
One thing that has struck me, naturally I'm trying to line up the wall cabinets with the base cabinets so all the doors are symmetric, however what do I do about freestanding appliances?

........."naturally".......? :eek:

There are places O.C. sufferers can go to get help.

........."naturally".......? :eek:

There are places O.C. sufferers can go to get help.
LMAO!

Yes naturally, just as DVDs *naturally* HAVE to be in alphabetical order on the bookcase... :LOL:

Well it's natural to me :rolleyes: where are these places you speak of?

Seriously, you need to do what is practical first and foremost, then think about cosmetics.

There is nothing worse than a kitchen that does not 'work'.

The fridge, cooker and sink need to be ergonomically positioned then fill in from here.

Obviously, a dishwasher would be best positioned near the sink as would the washing machine unless you have plumbing/drainage elsewhere, to suit.

Likewise, a tumble dryer is best positioned near the washing machine for different, but obvious reasons.

Sponsored Links
i don't know if b&q still do this and its a little cheeky but they used to do a free design plan.
It was 10 years ago when i moved into this house and money was tight and the house had a small kitchen so i was planning on extending the house and moving the kitchen into the living room.

I took in the dimensions of my room, they put these into a computer and it printed of a few ideas, which included space for appliances. this gave me the dimensions of all the units, so i was able to go home and have a think. i actually marked each unit on the walls. (sad eh)

Of course i had to seem interested in the kitchens there.....and in the end i ended up buying one from them because of an offer they had on.

You could leave a 1300 gap, and use two 400's and a 500 above. If 1300 looks to big then a timber fillet between the appliances might work.

You could leave a 1300 gap, and use two 400's and a 500 above. If 1300 looks to big then a timber fillet between the appliances might work.

And why wreck a perfectly good kitchen?

OP:
Yes it's natural to want everything lined up properly, thats why we do it ourselves! For a 600 integrated appliance leave a 600 gap, you'll find the appliance is marginally smaller usually 590-595 leaving (just) enough room to get it in. For a washing machine if its properly adjusted on a solid floor it should barely vibrate at all - mine sits in a gap that probably ended up at perhaps 602mm and has maybe 3mm gap each side of the appliance - its not perfect but its close enough. For everything else (fridges, freezers, dishwashers) just make the gap exactly the size of the appliance i.e. if its a 450 appliance you'll find its not quite 450 but something like 440 or so. It all works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back