New Kitchen- Old hot water cylinder + a mixer tap bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im putting a new kitchen in and have a convential boiler with a hot water cylinder. The cylinder is quite old looking. At the minute I have a cold and hot water tap in the kitchen. It seems that separate taps are old school and hard to get a decent sink with 2 tap holes.

Problem is that is it ok to run a 1 mixer tap sink with a old cylinder? The idea of possibly dirty hot water getting into drinking water puts me off adopting the new method?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
UK kitchen mixers shouldn't actually mix, having separate waterways to the end of the spout. Same might not apply to a cheap continental tap bought from Lidl.

Hot water should be kept hot enough to kill any germs (55 degrees plus).

In any case I don't think it's too much of a problem, I've never heard of anyone getting sick from a kitchen mixer.

Your problems isn't hot water getting mixed with cold, it's finding a tap suitable for low pressure hot supplies. You need to choose the tap carefully, as some modern monobloc mixers with ceramic discs instead of old school washers can have poor flow rates.

You need to measure the head (vertical difference in height between the tap and the cold storage tank in loft), convert the head figure into Bar (pressure), and make sure you choose a tap that operates on a minimum Bar that is equal to, or higher than what you have.

Other things that can help increase the flow from modern taps, is using large bore tap tails, preferably copper not flexis and not having an isolating valve on the hot supply to the mixer as these restrict flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back