New Kitchen on way !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered my new kitchen yesterday, and will arrive in around 6 weeks.

Got a fair bit to do before it arrives like brick up underneath a window, electrics, plumbing and generally prep the area.

Currently trying to work out what to do with the ceiling to hide extractor ducting, lintel and making it easier to fit spots.

Putting in a false ceiling to the level of the bottom of the lintel will bring the ceiling height down to just under 2300mm.

Never put up a false ceiling before, but I presume its just a matter of screwing 3 x 2 to the walls and fix joists in between. This sound ok?

Anybody think of any problems I might come across, or any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Have been doing my house up for past 3 years and this is the last room before moving on to extension / conservatory / garden etc.

Sponsored Links
l have just finished doing my kitchen and l also put up a false ceiling with spotlights.The sight of the artex on the ceiling made my mind up.l used 3x2 screwed into ceiling joists, and then t&g the false ceiling making cut outs for 5x20watt spotlight along the way, threading the wires through the holes and making the connections at the ceiling rose.Jobs a good one, hope this helps.

The ceiling in our loft conversion is only 2200mm and doesn't look odd, it's handy when painting or changing lamps. 2300mm should be ok though

When lowering the ceiling in your kitchen, consider the hight of any wall units. some units can be quite tall and depending on the hight you set them at can make a low ceiling look even lower, and if the units are set too low to the worktops, it can ruin the look your after.

Salem

Sponsored Links
2.3m or 7foot6 is the standard ceiling height ;) and bedrooms now can be lower...no more dormers higher than the ridge :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back