New kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am new to this forum but am seeking some advice.
New kitchen is ordered which I intend to fit myself.
It is coming with 50mm worktops, which will need to be mitred. Also a couple of the corner units are radiused, so the tops will need to match.
I have been looking at carpenters jigs, routers, jigsaws etc to complete the tasks involved, but am a little over whelmed by all options.
I usually work with metal, but would like to broaden my skills into wood.
Any advice would be very welcome.
regards
John

Sponsored Links
If you are not likely to be doing anymore kitchens then you can hire a router & jig for the weekend and just buy some bits. Are they completely square edges or postformed (small radius on edges)

The radius for the curved units can be done by making a template from MDF and using the router with a bearing guided cutter to follow the template. Its not easy to get a good transition from the glued on edging to the factory fitted one.

Jason

PS Stick with the traction engines ;)

Thanks for that Jason.
The worktops are square cornered. I presume these still need to be mitred?
Also what adhesive is used in the join?

Traction engines seem far easier to build, but I am barred from the workshop until the kitchen is fitted!!!!!
But at least the leccy bill has gone down.

regards
John

Sponsored Links
With the square edge ones you don't need to cut such a deep mitre, really only enough to remove the factory applied edge.

The joints are held together with work top bolts sunk into the underside of the frame. Use PVA glue on the lower part of the joint and the top 5mm or so is done with a product called Colorfil, you will need to buy the correct match for your colour laminate.

As I said your biggest problem will be blending the straight factory edge into the curve of your end units, it never really works with laminate.

Allow for a new router bit per joint eg two cuts per bit as the chipboard is very abrasive, amazing what you find mixed in with it!!

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back