Replacing a single section of kitchen worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have added new under unit integrated fridge and freezer to my kitchen. There was nothing in the location previously so these have basically become an extension to the existing kitchen units. I want to extend the worktop over these units (which will thankfully provide an additional 1200mm of usable space!) but am unsure about how this can be done. Im assuming the old and new pieces cant be butted up to each other, so a whole new length will need to be fitted. The worktop in the kitchen forms an L shape so there is only a single joint which has been done with a proper router jig (rather than a 45 mitre).

Question is, will a fitter be able to remove the current piece and fit a new one while doing a decent job of the join? Or, will both pieces need replacing?

Although it's a Symphony kitchen, B&Q do the exact same worktop so I can buy a single length that matches. Otherwise I might look at something different altogether.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

Sponsored Links
hi, if you can get an identical worktop i would have thought it can be biscuted together, allthough it would not look very nice, so should proberably be replaced, how long is the section that needs lengthining?

someone may correct me on this as i am only an apprentice :)

tom

you might even consider just fitting a new worktop all round the kitchen. It is not very expensive, the cost will be the work of cutting it to fit your uneven walls, and cutting the hole for the sink. If the old top has tiles glued to it they might come off the wall.

Sounds a lot of hassle just for an extra bit of worktop. Depending on your existing kitchen style, could you not contrast it with say a stainless top, spaced a few cm from the existing and maybe reserved purely for food prep. Handy above the fridge and freezer. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input chaps.

As the old saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words so this should make life easier.

IMG_6530.jpg

As you can see, the two 600 wall units are new also so please excuse the fact that cornice, pelmet and tiling still needs to be done!

Tom, I can get the identical worktop. My concern is as you mentioned, how the join will look. I guess if the jig is a different make or something then it may be slightly different which of course will cause a problem. The total length is just short of single uncut piece.

John, thats what I was thinking and what I was hoping to establish. There will need to be the sink cut and the hob too (I have an induction hob to replace that awful ceramic plate one). The property is only a couple of years old and im fairly confident that the walls are pretty straight. I havent removed the sealant to check how far behind the tiles go yet.

Deluks, I know what you're saying but I think it would look best with matching worktop. You may or may not agree after seeing the photo! You can also see that any extra worktop space of any kind will be very much welcome!

Thanks again.

If you can get the same worktop, and the join is running in your favour and if the join seperates ok then you may be in luck, with some colour matched sealant in the join when it is remade it should look good.

If you can get the same worktop, and the join is running in your favour and if the join seperates ok then you may be in luck, with some colour matched sealant in the join when it is remade it should look good.

Hmmm, a nice clean break could be traced with a router and template cutter?

Any chance You could elaborate a bit further please guys?

John, I'm not sure what you mean by join running in my favour? It runs down the short edge of the piece to be replaced if that's what you mean?

Deluks, afraid that's well above my router/worktop knowledge mate!

Thanks for the help!

new worktop should be able to join onto old with no problem as long as joiner has same jig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back