New laptop problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just bought a Toshiba laptop from Argos, and what has been happening is that when on the internet the screen will go blank for a few seconds and then come back on with a message in the bottom right hand corner saying display driver not responding! Your thought appreciated thanks for your time!!

Sponsored Links
You need to check for display driver updates, but you need to be connected to the internet to do that.

At the start screen, type in control panel, then got to hardware and sound, then device manager, and double click on hardware display, then find update driver.

If you can't do that, take it back to the store as being faulty, and not fit for purpose.

Is your laptop running Windows 10? Do you have installed antivirus other than Windows Defender?

That was the situation with my new laptop in January, and I had problems with the display driver. I approached John Lewis technical support (Toshiba were rubbish and refused to help!), who advised that the Avast antivirus I installed (which was fine with W7) was creating problems with Windows 10. Apparently, W10 doesn't like some third party AV products. Their advice was to uninstall it and the inbuilt Windows Defender should automatically activate itself. (Incidentally, I also installed Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Anti-exploit.)
They were right. I have had no further problems.

I should try that first if I were you. It's easy to do, and if it doesn't solve the problem you can always re-install your AV and look for other solutions.

Sponsored Links
Have you bumped it? Being brand new I would personally exchange as faulty.

Have you bumped it? Being brand new I would personally exchange as faulty.
I asked that initially, as the laptop was under warranty. However, the John Lewis tech. gentleman explained that, whilst he could exchange it for me, he was sure it was a software problem. He was right, as it turned out.

Incidentally, Avast have since brought out an updated software which is compatible with W10, so that would confirm that the problem I encountered was, as JL said, software related. I installed a copy of the updated AV software and there are no problems now.

I believe that this, and other problems, are often due to third party software not being suitable for use with W10 and I suppose the onus is on the third party software developers to make changes to account for the new W10. Hopefully, as Microsoft have announced, W10 will be the 'last' version of Windows, we shall not have this problem of constant third party software upgrades being necessary. Possibly!

Back