New Lead Flashing and Valley covered in felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice really, we had a roof leak after the recent stormy weather so I got hold of a roofer through a friend, and he quoted to put lead flashing along the firewall and a replacement valley in. The amount sounded fine to me after looking up how much the lead would cost, and got the fella to do the work. I Have just had a look up there today, and can't see any lead along the firewall, it just looks like felt has been used instead? Would there be any point in covering new lead with felt? Is it likely to be underneath the felt? The valley has been done with (I assume) new lead again covered with felt, this I can see from the ladder, but again, why cover with felt? If they have just put felt up over what was there, I have been majorly ripped and the guy will be getting a call.......

Any thought please people?

dank.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, i'll take some photos and post tomorrow. Ubbink is the brandname on the material they may or may not have laid over any lead, so I would guess it is Ubiflex. Would you think that both the Ubiflex and lead would be used?

Sponsored Links
Ubiflex is an alternative to using lead and not a lot in it price wise.

Yes, looks like a lead alternative to me.
He should have discussed that with you though before going ahead and doing it.
Out of interest, did he cut that valley up on a Friday afternoon after a liquid lunch?

Not very pretty is it! if he stipulated lead then thats what you should have.

I would get him to fit the lead properly at the party wall! ie under the coping stone.

Twas a Friday morning, I dread to think what it would have been like if it was done in the afternoon!

I Was expecting lead, even pointed to another house that blatantly had lead, and he said yep, that's what it'll look like, so i'll have a chat with him tomorrow, see what he says.......I wish it would rain so I can check that it at least has stopped the leak!

Cheers All for your input.

he sounds like the sort of person who moves around and the only lead they know is wot they nick :idea: if you get my drift ;)

I must be looking at different photos to you guys, looks like mineral finished felt.

Cement works rough, the valley tiles haven't been lifted and bedded down, just face pointed, which will soon fall out.

I must be looking at different photos to you guys, looks like mineral finished felt.

Cement works rough, the valley tiles haven't been lifted and bedded down, just face pointed, which will soon fall out.

In picture two you can just about make out the reinforcing wires in the Ubiflex on the cut edge.

Does it say use lead or use lead replacement on the quote?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back