New Lean-to/Covered way Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Well it's a long time since I was a regular on these forums, but the time has come to get stuck into DIY again and to be honest I'm really looking forward to it!

I have some big stuff to do, but I want to start first with some smaller stuff. Namely, we have a passageway with a concrete path down the side of our house which I want to cover with a see through roof, doors a both ends and timber walling. I'd probably cover the whole thing in white clapperboard to match in with our white rendered house.

That is about as far as I've got at the moment! I'm searching the web and this forum presently for some plans/ideas, but just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has any particular recommendations. As I say I'm thinking timber frame, poly roof, obviously I'll have to consider guttering which I'll run into a tank at the rear of the property. Luckily for me the fence has solid concrete posts so I can use them to attach the uprights to.......

In particular I'd like to know what angle the roof should be run at? Also, is lead flashing the only option? Are there roof systems out there which come/need certain support designs? Or maybe there's a cost effective (I only have a budget of 100s not 1000s for this) system out there I could use?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi JDLDIY, Your project / intentions sseem very very similar to a project I posted up just yesterday //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/polycarbonate-lean-to-roof.451830/

I too was thinking of running the timbers off of the concrete posts, but I did think of going with the self supporting bars which seem to be a cleaner look but not sure on cost as I am working to a budget also

From what I've read it seems that flash banding is used with the poly sheets & the angle should be no less than 5 degrees (hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Maybe you could post some pics and measurements to get a better understanding of what's needed

Hi there, yes, I've just read your thread and yes our projects are really similar!

Have you looked at Ariel Corotherm? This is the roofing they sell in B&Q, I popped in yesterday to see what they did. They do have a website with installation videos you might find useful, here.

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread. I particularly want to know how the joinery is done, how you get the angle right for the roof etc. More research to do........

Never heard of Ariel Corotherm before, seems very similar to standard poly sheets, i wonder what the exact difference is as only had a quick look & the work systems won't play the videos :censored:

Looks interesting though if those thermal values are accurate, and if they can design me a complete system then I might just go with that as I have a 'go-to' place for problems

Joinery is the main thing that will need to be spot on and as I usually am working on my own it can be difficult hence the preference (cost allowing) for self support

Just out of curiosity did you notice what the cost comparison from poly to the Ariel would be?

Sponsored Links
Hi, no I've not costed it out yet, that'll be the next step....where have you been getting prices from?

EDIT: What do you mean by self support - do you mean during the build or self supporting rather than using the fence posts?

Last edited:
Mainly online, Fascia.com & a few other places but have not had a complete measure up as yet - i did also come across a complete 'roof pack' offer which was around £200 and apparently included everything, however I know it won't be to my specs as I wish to have 3 of the 4 sides weatherproof - if you know what I mean - so that come hail / snow I can work outside, and also leave the materails & tools to continue the next day

The main concerns / hesitance I have is that there are a few pipes I need to do cut outs for and am not sure how I would work around them and still have them watertight, and then on the opposite side, I'm guessing I'd have to install more sheets but vertically to stop the weather getting in from the side, but I'm not sure how I would secure them. Will the bars work or will i need 'buttons'

Lot of little nigghes to work through.... :(

Ditto on the down pipes as I have a couple to work around. Like you I want to weather proof it form the sides. I'm not sure yet how the structure will come together....

I meant self supporting as it's seems alot nicer and cleaner look - I drove past a car port that had been built like that and it really did look good, but I think therein lies the main issue, that was a carport, supported on one side, i need a system that will be enclosed on the 3 sides.

In terms of the structure I think the hardest bit is going to be getting all the angles right and the beams down from the backplate, onto timbers attached to the posts, then another front plate? for them to sit or be screwed into and then you just run them down all along evenly

Where abouts are you based ?

West Sussex. I'm going to look into the timber side of it - I' have some books that might show how it's done. Where are you?

I'm based in South East London

Going to spend the next week / 2 planning and preparing and maybe start first week of Feb as I'll have another pair of hands with me - nephews come up to stay for half term

Nothing better than free labour:D

I'll keep that post updated as and when I do start any work - when are you proposing yours to start?

Not sure to be honest, probably not for a few weeks yet.

Hi JDLDIY

Any closer to starting up?

I got a few prices today - have a look on the thread I started

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back