New Lean-to/kitchen Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just joined this site, so hello there!

My hubby and I are in need of good advice. We have a Victorian terrace cottage with a lean-to which is in a right old mess: leaking badly due to a poorly constructed roof (which is pitched wrong). I have a picture here for you guys to see:

So, we want to replace it with a flat roof (like next door) but unsure of costs...money is tight so we thought we could do the demolishing but I think it's too much of a big job????

Then I was thinking what we could do to give us more space...we have a TINY kitchen: //media.diynot.com/209000_208771_66822_13307818_thumb.jpg with the external wall to the left....I would LOVE to have that wall taken out so that I could have a nice big kitchen at the back but would assume that this would be very costly and am of course concerned about structure of house.

So, anyway I guess my question would be how much am I looking to pay...and would it be cost-effective to take down the existing lean-to ourselves?

Sponsored Links
Demolitions form only a small part of the overall costs, the greatest being breaking and removal of the the floor slab and waste materials etc. If you were to say remove everything and leave just a soil finish, then this could have a modest financial impact.

Expect to pay around £1000 p/m² for building work or add another £200-£500 p/m² for complete works i.e. electrics, plumbing, decor (kitchens, tiling, etc).

Logistics can also influence costs and terraced properties are not usually builder friendly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back