Raising a lean-to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hie,

I would like to raise the roof of a lean-to in order to get a ceiling height that is similar to the kitchen. As the pictures show it juts about 80cm from the kitchen. Would i be better of demolishing and starting afresh? I would prefer not to demolish if at all possible. Doing it myself as I am on a shoestring of a shoestring of a budget.

Literally need to raise it by a foot and half, knock the wall though and put in kitchen cupboards. The last picture shows the ceiling height I would like to achieve so I can have kitchen cupboards all the way into the lean to. That dinky little window would be built up

Thanks

[GALLERY=media, 31974][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 31975][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 31976][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 31977][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
There is no need to demolish the whole thing. Just remove the roof, rafters, wall plate etc... and build the brickwork up to the required height and re-fit the roof. Can't see any reason why you cannot do it reasonably cheaply if you are doing it yourself but you may have to look into Planning permission to be safe although it may well come under the Permitted Development rule.

There is no need to demolish the whole thing. Just remove the roof, rafters, wall plate etc... and build the brickwork up to the required height and re-fit the roof. Can't see any reason why you cannot do it reasonably cheaply if you are doing it yourself but you may have to look into Planning permission to be safe although it may well come under the Permitted Development rule.

Thanks. How do I ensure that the new brickworks ,attaches' soundly to the old bricks?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
You can either buy a wall starter kit ( search Google for an image ) or you chase out alternate bricks up the wall and set your new brickwork in so it bonds with the existing wall. It's a process called 'toothing in' and to make it look the best I would 'tooth in' the external corner and use a wall starter kit on the internal corner. Screw in ties could also be used and there are several types so try a search on Bluebird ties for an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back