Extension ideas/questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the spring I shall be extending our kitchen down the side of the house. Currently the kitchen is single storey at the rear of the house (original) with some brick outbuildings linked up with a shoddy lean to. This work will be done by me, cost is a major factor, in fact so much so, if it is not me doing it, no one will.

I intend to remove the linked up lean to, knock the side wall out of the kitchen, but that's where my questions start.

The brick outbuildings are solid 9" walls the same as the house. They were built the same time as the house (1925) before next door was built some 10 years later. In an ideal world I would just remove the internal subdividing walls that make an outside toilet, store room and workshop adding the appropriate support and raise the eaves height by removing several courses of tiles. This then would be linked into the current kitchen by continuing the pitched roof along with a slightly lower ridge height to comply with the 4m rule. behind this, moving towards the front would be a flat roof.

How likely is it that building control will agree to this? Would they require an internal brick skin to form a cavity or would stud insulation be acceptable?
IMG_4518.JPG

Sponsored Links
You dont need a cavity. All you need to do is meet the requirements for insulation and water resistance.

Cheers woody. Suppose a chemical DPC would be in order. I'll do some research on the insulation requirements - are you aware of them off the top of your head?

Tony - thanks for your comments. They are the original clays, not sure what type. All in very good order.

Sponsored Links
It's effectively a garage conversion. So you use polythene to line the inner walls and floor, no chemical DPC.

60 or maybe 80mm Celotex on the walls. 100mm in the floor.

Thanks for that. Seems fairly straightforward. Any air gap required or simply all fixed to the wall then plasterboarded over?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back