New light by front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put a new switch and outside light by my front door, and would like to have some ideas on the best way to do this. Would it be best to spur off the downstairs main electrics with a fuse socket (similar to kitchen lights) or to use the light circuit?

I know what I'm doing with option 1, but would need some advice for option 2 please! :LOL:

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
TR1CKY said:
I would like to put a new switch and outside light by my front door, and would like to have some ideas on the best way to do this. Would it be best to spur off the downstairs main electrics with a fuse socket (similar to kitchen lights) or to use the light circuit?

I know what I'm doing with option 1, but would need some advice for option 2 please! :LOL:

Thanks again

best use a switched fused spur form the sockets. if you have an RCD, amke sure the spur is double pole incase a fault ever develops

Thanks Andy - I'll make sure I get a double pole spur from B&Q :)

Got the double pole fused spur. One last question (for today! :LOL: )

Is the 13 amp fuse OK in there or does it need a different fuse?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
TR1CKY said:
Got the double pole fused spur. One last question (for today! :LOL: )

Is the 13 amp fuse OK in there or does it need a different fuse?

Thanks again

depends on rating of light. probably 3A, possibly 5A. but almost definatly not 13A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back