new light fitting kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to put a new light fitting in dining area . There is another light in kitchen and they are operated with double switch. For the new light fitting there are attachments for live neutral and earth. After removing old light I have the following wires 2 red 1 blue 1 black 1 yellow 1 earth. After connecting I have both lights operating off. One switch. Can anyone suggest how wires should be attached

Sponsored Links
So are you replacing an existing fitting, did you not check and take a note how the original was wired up?
It is likely the two reds are a loop connection and should be fitted in a separate connector and not to the terminals of the new one.
You will require some test equipment to identify the cores or it's guesswork!

After removing old light I have the following wires 2 red 1 blue 1 black 1 yellow 1 earth.

Not at all helpful

Can I guess that you have two CABLES. One with a red and a black wire, the other with red, yellow and blue wires???

If so, you should have two earth wires, where has the other gone to?

Also, please tell/ photo what wires are connected where at the switch, and at the otehr light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back