New Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new light fitting where there was previously a ceiling rose using the loop wiring system.

Connections on the new spotlight were L, N and E so I managed to clip out the terminal blocks from the existing ceiling rose and trimmed the L and N from the existing terminator block. I then wrapped the terminal blocks in insulation tape as they are metal (although they sit in a plastic holder).
I then connected the L, N and E to the new light fitting terminal blocks and all works fine. Please note the fitting takes 40w G9 halogen bulbs.

I would appreciate it if someone could confirm if I have installed correctly.
The thing that worries me is that in the instructions they state the following:

Fuse Value: A light fitting should be connected to a lighting circuit protected by a 5-amp fuse, (or 6-amp residual current device). If a light fitting is to be connected to a ring main, a fused connection unit fitted with a 3-amp fuse should be installed.

As I have connected to the ring main I guess I have to add a fused connection unit. Where can you purchase these? Where should I connect this?

Thanks for your help on this.

Sponsored Links
joeh said:
I have installed a new light fitting where there was previously a ceiling rose using the loop wiring system.

Connections on the new spotlight were L, N and E so I managed to clip out the terminal blocks from the existing ceiling rose and trimmed the L and N from the existing terminator block. I then wrapped the terminal blocks in insulation tape as they are metal (although they sit in a plastic holder).
I then connected the L, N and E to the new light fitting terminal blocks and all works fine.
:eek: ye gods :eek:

I would appreciate it if someone could confirm if I have installed correctly.
No - what you've done is dangerous- you should not have used the innards of a ceiling rose wrapped in tape. You should replace this with a proper junction box or at the very least with choc-block.

As I have connected to the ring main I guess I have to add a fused connection unit.
But you haven't connected it to a ring main - as you said in your very first sentence you've put it on a lighting circuit...

Where can you purchase these?
Anywhere that sells electrical accessories will sell FCUs, they are as common, widespread and everyday items as switches and sockets, and it's a tad worrying that you think they are esoteric

Where should I connect this?

and that if you did buy one you wouldn't know how to use it...

Sort out the terminal block/junction-box/choc-block issue and bone up a bit on household electrics ready for the next time...

Cheers for the info.

I will change the old ceiling rose parts for choc boxes as I have done in the past for previous light fittings. Do the termional blocks need to be 5A?

Do I need to do anything else? Regards the lighting circuit being protected by a 5-amp fuse, what should I do here? Surely my existing circuit is protected by a 15A fuse?

If your existing circuit was installed correctly it will be protected by a 5 (or possibly 6) amp fuse/breaker. Confirm this by looking in the consumer unit. Does the light go out when you pull/turn off all the 5/6 amp fuses/breakers?

Sponsored Links
I have a Consumer unit containing many MCBs (MK LN 5932). I believe these are 32 Amp. One of these is used for the lower ground lighting circuit (hall, 2 living rooms, 2 x cupboards). Do I need to change the MCB for this particular circuit?

Regards the choc block I should use. I am correct in assuming it should be 5A? Also, what type of wire should be used for earthing purposes? Should I strip from 3 core or can you purchase seperately?

Tks

joeh said:
I have a Consumer unit containing many MCBs (MK LN 5932). I believe these are 32 Amp. One of these is used for the lower ground lighting circuit (hall, 2 living rooms, 2 x cupboards). Do I need to change the MCB for this particular circuit?

Regards the choc block I should use. I am correct in assuming it should be 5A? Also, what type of wire should be used for earthing purposes? Should I strip from 3 core or can you purchase seperately?

Tks

you have a 32A breaker on the lights? i hope there wired in 4mm minimum

and you must ahve some size house for 32A of lighting.

use 5A choc block.
what 3 core? do you mean T+E? yes you get the earth form there, but if you need to ask if you use that or get is seperate. makes me wonder if you know what your doin.

and since you ask about a FCU for the replacement light, what was protecting the existing light

I am asking simple questions to ensure no mistakes are made. Better to ask I believe. Changing a light fitting shouldn't really be too complicated should it?! Basically I know hoe to replace the ceiling rose (loop system) with choc blocks but the following instructions for the light fitting confused the matter:

Fuse Value: A light fitting should be connected to a lighting circuit protected by a 5-amp fuse, (or 6-amp residual current device). If a light fitting is to be connected to a ring main, a fused connection unit fitted with a 3-amp fuse should be installed.

The existing ceiling rose was connected to a lighting circuit. All MCBs in my CU are MK LN 5932. I believe these are 32 Amp. The CU was installed a few years ago (installed by a qualified electrician). Should the breaker for this partcular circuit be a lower ampage. This circuit is made up of two light fittings, 1 ceiling rose and two cupboard lights on this circuit, porch light and outside light. How do you work out how much ampage is required on a breaker?

Tks

joeh said:
I am asking simple questions to ensure no mistakes are made. Better to ask I believe. Changing a light fitting shouldn't really be too complicated should it?! Basically I know hoe to replace the ceiling rose (loop system) with choc blocks but the following instructions for the light fitting confused the matter:

The existing ceiling rose was connected to a lighting circuit. All MCBs in my CU are MK LN 5932. I believe these are 32 Amp. The CU was installed a few years ago (installed by a qualified electrician). Should the breaker for this partcular circuit be a lower ampage. This circuit is made up of two light fittings, 1 ceiling rose and two cupboard lights on this circuit, porch light and outside light. How do you work out how much ampage is required on a breaker?

Tks

if he put them on a 32A breaker, then he's not qualified. all house lighting goes on a 6A MCB. lights dont use much power. each individual light does not need a local fuse, since the circuit is low enough anyway

I have just checked the CU and he has actually used a 6A breaker for this circuit. I will install the choc blocks tom. Thanks for your help.

joeh
Sounds like you should leave it to an expert. I dont think you'll be able to come here and ask for help again typing with charred fingers.

Its muppets like you who give DIY a bad name, fill up our casualty departments wasting tax-payers money when you screw up, simply because you are too tight to put your hand in your pocket once in a while and pay someone who really knows what they're doing to get the job done.

I'd say you're just one of those sad 'project manager' type IT geeks who sits at a desk all day in front of a computer thinking of how he can save his next 10p on his DIY by not doing a job properly then wastes everyone else's time when you find you haven't got a clue what you're doing.

Get a milk-round loser.

:D :D :D :D

John

Sounds like you are bitter. Not getting enough work? I can see why with your charm! I have actually put my hand in my pocket a lot lately Johnny boy as rennovating my property. Do you honestly think changing a light fitting is that complicated? If you do then I would suggest you continue taking your two bob BTec exams. If everyone knew exactly what they were doing, why does this site exist and why do you bother replying? Do you get a kick out of abusing people. Bullied at school were we. Have another cup of tea on me while you are waiting for the phone to ring you silly silly boy!

Sounds like you'd be better off taking it up the chock blocks than wiring them!!!

Bit odd that someone's first post is a load of unecessary abuse, but possible I guess. :rolleyes:

Incidentally on another forum I used to view, they eventuall started to track IP addresses to catch out people using pseudonyms, and then banned them.

Somewhere in amongst all the abuse that's currently flying about there was a question:

Q) "How do you work out how much ampage is required on a breaker?"

A) Add up the total POWER of all your light bulbs and divide by the VOLTAGE. This will give you the CURRENT. Add 50% extra because you don't want to be running on the limit. Given the small number of lights you have on that circuit, six amps is more than adequate.

The rest of the discussion is not worthy of comment. I'll leave that to the moderators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back