New Light Fitting

Sponsored Links
circuitbreaker said:
I'd say you're just one of those sad 'project manager' type IT geeks who sits at a desk all day in front of a computer thinking of how he can save his next 10p on his DIY by not doing a job properly then wastes everyone else's time when you find you haven't got a clue what you're doing.
Get a milk-round loser.
:D :D :D :D
OOOH!
I wonder what really bad experience you had of: project managers: IT experts: desks: computers: milk rounds: that makes you come off with all this? Even allowing for your belated attempt to laugh it off.

On the other hand:
Joeh seriously needs sound advice. He has obviously lived through doing this kind of job before and it would be a shame if he was put off learning more here - either to make sure he knows how to do it right or to make sure he knows why he shouldn't try.

joeh
Let's face it, I was only trying to save your life!!
It's obvious that you're is incapable of changing a plug let alone deal with lighting circuits.

You're the guy who sees the words '5amp' and heads off to HMV to buy their latest album :D

And where did you get the name 'John' from? My name's Billy.

joeh said:
John....

....Do you honestly think changing a light fitting is that complicated?

Well, you seem to be struggling... give it up joe :!:

joeh said:
I have actually put my hand in my pocket a lot lately Johnny boy as rennovating my property.

Does packing tape cost that much nowdays

joeh said:
If you do then I would suggest you continue taking your two bob BTec exams.

Learning to be a librarian is a very worthwhile and demanding career :confused:

joeh said:
...and why do you bother replying? Do you get a kick out of abusing people.

I'm trying to help you, smeghead :)

Best you just leave it alone mate, before you do something stupid like rewire the lighting and blow up the cooker :eek: :eek:
Think of your family, your boyfriend.

I really wish you well. Just leave stuff alone and stick to being a geek

All the best.

:D :D :D :D :D :?:

I thought under current legislation they where trying to stop the cowboy DIYers trying to bodge jobs and leaving the mess for the next person to buy the house to sort out, as happened to me.
Leave it to the professionals mate if you are not sure.

Sponsored Links
Shame then that there is no evidence at all to suggest that most dangerous electrical installations are DIY. Some small fraction undoubtedly are unsafe, but far more dangerous is work not done, leading to crumbling insulation, extension lead and adapter spaghetti etc.
Even then appliance fires (rather than fixed wiring) dominate by a large factor.

In the mean time lets return to ground. The original poster would indeed be well advised to replace his bits of mashed up ceiling rose with either a junction box or a choc block in a box, but actually its more likely to work than a few posters we've had who have put the switch wires across the mains etc. As he hasn't been removing or re-laying any circuits, even in a a kitchen or bathroom, such work is still allowed under part P.
I agree it sounds like a good DIY electrics book (see the for-reference section for some ideas) would be a good christmas present, but that comment goes for a lot of people who use this forum, and is as strong as I will make the criticism.
Slating people in an abusive manner and causing upset will only discourage questions from being asked, and mistakes from being corrected, it doesn't stop people doing things, and nor should it.

Yours crossly
Mike :mad:

Looks like someone was playing a practical joke - name no names!!! You know who you are! Slating is certainly easy with pseudonyms!

A 5A rated choc block connector is rated to take a maximum of 5A. You should never use one rated for less than the current limit of the circuit, but it is a rough figure so would be fine on a 6A circuit. But you might want to use rated for a bigger current because it will be physically bigger and you might need a bigger size where you have to connect together several wires.

Be careful that none of the wires is bent so the screws do not clamp tightly and it may work loose. But also be careful with thin wires not to put the screws in so tight that they cut right through the wire.

Here's a tip for using choc block. If you have the space, put all the wires in from the same side and tighten both screws onto them. Cut your wires so that they are just long enough to get under the second screw. You don't want any bare ends poking out the far side. The only other thing you have to watch is that some metal projection inside a mounting box doesn't poke into an open end on the choc block.

I wonder, could there be a market out there for blind-ended choc block - or does it exist already?

Guess the double ended version is more versatile. You can still put a wire in from each end and catch it under both screws. That way the exposed end has an insulated wire blocking it off from things poking into it

Thanks Damocles. A useful tip indeed. Of course it's obvious now but there are times when the b******g obvious is elusive!

We could always discuss our favourite screw thread pitch next?

Ah yes! 2BA or not 2BA, that is the question. Time I wasn't here ---

And why were the even sizes (2, 4, 6, 8BA) far more common than 1, 3, 5, & 7BA?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back