new light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have changed 2 pendant lights for sets of spots, both lights had 2 cables ( 1 switch and 1 mains) which I connected to a junction box and ran 1 lead from this to the new fitting.

When I reconnected the fuse the lights went on even though the switch was off and when this was turned on the fuse blew!
Have since discovered that one of the fittings had a live switch wire which I have tried in several positions but still the same result

Driving me mad - any suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
the 2 cables - you have 2 reds and 2 blacks.

2 reds connect together on their own.

the 2 blacks should be treated as switched live and neutral. It doesn't matter which way around they go unless you have screw-cap lamps.

If its nessecary to find the polarity, use a digital multimeter and test the voltage between their terminals. One way will show positive, one way will show negative voltage. Then you can work out which is live. ;)

EDIT: you say ONE of the fittings had a switch wire? How do you know this is the case? If both lights have one switch each, do the above for both.

Crafty said:
If its nessecary to find the polarity, use a digital multimeter and test the voltage between their terminals. One way will show positive, one way will show negative voltage. Then you can work out which is live. ;)

Tut,tut Crafty.Wrong get to the back of the class.Measuring AC voltage using a multimeter will not show you polarity ;)

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Crafty said:

Tut,tut Crafty.Wrong get to the back of the class.Measuring AC voltage using a multimeter will not show you polarity ;)
It does on mine. I think. :confused:

Alternatively use the multimeter on resistance and do the old switch flicking excersize

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back