New lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing the old non-earthed lighting circuits downstairs. Rather than running the circuit cables from one fitting to the next as standard, it would be more convenient to run the circuit cable to a central location, connect to a junction box, then run separate cables out to each fitting on the circuit. Question is though is this acceptable and are there any implications?

JD

Sponsored Links
Given that you will still have to run switch cables for each light I can't see how this will actually make life any easier - you'll still be taking up a fair few boards. The main implications are that, depending on how many lights you intend to power, the JB wiring could be extremely unwieldy and any JB with more than four cables coming out of it immediately sends warning signals to the next spark to see it - it looks, frankly, cra*p.

if the cables have no earth, then i presume they are old, re wire it

1) you get an earth

2) new cables

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to double check that this way of wiring was acceptable and wouldn't cause me problems electrically if you know what I mean. I've wired this way when installing GU10's but for a whole lighting circuit?
JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back