New lights and switch for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone, hope someone can provide a bit guidance.

I currently have a double fluorescent light unit in the garage operated by standard single switch. What I want to do is add some halogen spotlights over some worktop.

To do this am I correct in thinking I can break into the feed to the existing light switch, with a junction box, and take it to a new switch then to the new lights?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Hello.
Without more information about the existing circuit, including how it is cabled we cannot really advise you. (eg you may not have a 'Neutral' at the switch).
How is this circuit 'fed', protected etc ?
Have you had a look at the Wiki lighting diagrams ?

The more we know the better.
I hope this helps.

Ed

:oops: too slow again !

Ok, I will take a look at the existing wiring and post how its all wired up currently.....

Sponsored Links
I currently have a double fluorescent light unit in the garage operated by standard single switch. What I want to do is add some halogen spotlights over some worktop.
Why?

Fluorescent is the perfect work light. Halogen is the least perfect work light!

Get a decent High frequency instant start twin fitting, you wont regret it.

ok, had a look at the existing switch, its has live. neutral and earth in it.....Wylex 2-Way Metal RCD Garage Consumer Unit is what is in the garage, one fuse used for the power sockets and the other for the lighting....does this help identify where I can wire up from?

Thanks in advance again......sorry its taken ages for me to get back with any further (hopefully helpful) information.....

Hold judgement - it might have L/N/E going in, and coming out. If you were installing a single fluorescent fitting in a garage, would you bother looping at the light, or would you just run from the CU to the switch to the light?

there is only one cable at the switch and one at the light, so I guess there is no loop. Consumer unit, switch and light are all within a couple of meters of one an other...........

there is only one cable at the switch and one at the light, so I guess there is no loop. Consumer unit, switch and light are all within a couple of meters of one an other...........

Then there must be a junction box somewhere. If there is a consumer unit for the garage the connections may be in there.

Sounds like you may have to follow one of the wires to see where they go.

there is only one cable at the switch and one at the light, so I guess there is no loop.
So extend the light circuit cable (the loop) from the fluorescent to the place where you want additional lights, and add a new switch where you want it.

Simples.

So extend the light circuit cable (the loop) from the fluorescent to the place where you want additional lights, and add a new switch where you want it.

Simples.

But won't the connections at the existing light be neutral and switched live?
That doesn't help as the new switch would then only operate when the existing light is switched on.

Or do you mean he could extend just the neutral from the existing light and add a second switch to provide the switched live?

Or is there something I've missed that you have seen (it has happened ;) )

I'm thinking what you've missed is:

there is only one cable at the switch and one at the light, so I guess there is no loop.

if there's only one cable at the switch it must be L/SL, so I'm assuming that there's a cable from the CU to the light and then a drop cable to the switch. i.e. permanent live at the light.

Gotta say though it's not very encouraging that the OP can't look at one light, one switch and 2 surface mounted cables and know what to do...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back