New lintel needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First post! been using the forum for info for a while but have a problem i would like more opinions and advice on.

Basically we've just bought a new house and one of the problems is the ceiling above the window frame in the downstairs is sagging as seen in the picture below.

The problem:

I think im right in assuming this is a lintel problem?

We've taken up a couple of floorboards in the room above to get a look at this area and have found this

The beams appear to be resting on 2 bits of wood. The wood is only about a foot long. I'm not sure what its resting on but I fear it may not be on anything in particular. The piece of wood nearest the external wall (the top one in the pic) can be pulled out fairly easily!!

The next problem is this:

In the space where the two short bits of wood are the bricks above are loose and un supported.

Any advice on what we we need to do to sort this would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about getting a couple of acro props and boards and propping the ceiling from below to add a new lintel. What do you think?

Thank you and sorry its a bit long!!

Marcus :) [/img]

Sponsored Links
Would seem the small timbers [maybe put there to replace rotten timber] have moved allowing joist to drop [no lintel involved].
Have you had structural report on property , what age is property , guessing turn of century?

Would seem the small timbers [maybe put there to replace rotten timber] have moved allowing joist to drop [no lintel involved].
Have you had structural report on property , what age is property , guessing turn of century?

Yeah the property is around 1900's. Its a mid terrace in sheffield. We had a structural report and they said everything was generally sound.

We're a bit worried because we need to get double glazing and it looks as though as soon as the window frame is touched the whole area will drop.

Do you think there should be a lintel in there? What do you think we need to do ?

Thank you :)

At that age any lintel above the window will be timber and probably in poor condition, the window installer should be aware and take care to investigate before replacing.

Sponsored Links
Couple of things:

1. I dont see how a surveyor could miss the sagging ceiling and window head?

2. How come you missed it when you viewed the house?

3. I'd suggest some pics from outside. Further pics but well lighted, and with the debris cleared away from the "floorboard" area. Also some pics of the "bedroom" wall above the lintels.

4. Does the bedroom floor in that area sag or creak as you walk on it?

5. What about the remainder of the property sloping window and door heads, or sagging floors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back