New MCB will not re-set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, When we had our bathroom fitted out in September, the company had to fit an MCB unit for the shower. When I used the shower today as I pulled the cord to stop it I heard the 'trip' so
upon investigation attempted to re-set this but nothing - there does not appear to be any power
going to this additional Mcb unit? All other appliances working ok. I am of the understanding that the electric shower unit itself is wired in directly to this additional 45amp Mcb unit.

Sponsored Links
Are we talking MCB or RCD/RCCB/RCBO. or a bit of both?
Which device is it and does the device lock into the on position?
Some RCD units need to be switched fully off, then on again to lock-in!

A picture may help!

Sponsored Links
When I used the shower today as I pulled the cord to stop it

Surely you are supposed to turn off the shower at its knob or button first, so it can flow water through to cool down the hot element, and close itself down.

Afterwards, turning off the ceiling isolator will be under no load so no reason to trip anything.

What do the instructions say?

Interesting point Midas, we're so used to turning off the shower, then pulling the switch cord before you leave the shower room, that it could be also be treated like a switched spur in a kitchen which never gets switched off either.

Garash, reading your first post, it sort of suggest that you switched the shower off from the cord, rather than on the on/off button on the shower. can you verify how you do it please.

If you've been using the shower since September, it does sort of imply that the shower has become faulty. If there is an off button on the shower, switch this off, pull the cord to the off position, and then try the MCB again. Then let us know the results please

Hi Midas man. Little bit of advice for you.

It is better to stay quiet and have people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

My husband has dementia so we leave the shower at permanent settings and use the pull cord to start/stop the water supply. The Mcb unit was installed purely because we
have old style fuse board so they fitted a single Mcb Unit solely for the Shower. Go easy chaps I am and old lady !

As said earlier, when you switch off an electric shower (a modern one at least) they'll run the cold through for a few seconds to cool down the heating unit. By turning off the shower from the pull cord, this isn't happening, so it may well have killed the shower prematurely, hence the MCB won't reset whilst the shower is still switched on. Have you tried turning the shower itself off, then then resetting the MCB yet.

If the shower has failed, then replacing it with a digital shower that has the control switch outside the shower may be the way to go next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back