New mixer shower tapped from bath pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have just got a new isar HE24 combi boiler fitted and i would like to put in a mixer shower as we have no shower and now we have a combi it takes twice as long to run a bath and dont even need to put any cold in it, so obviously shower may help.

can i tap off the water pipes in the bathroom that used to come down from the airing cupboard (which are now capped off in the airing cupboard)

Sponsored Links
just put a pic up of the bathroom where id like to put the shower (needs decorating obviously)

http://www.arcintl.force9.co.uk/bath/1.jpg

as you can see in the pic there is the white boxing in the corner where the water piped ran down from the airing cupboard.
now that the boiler is in the cellar it should still be pumped up to the airing cupboard but its now capped off so i would like to make use of them and use self tappers on them....

can this be done?

Providing the pipes in the boxing are hot and cold pipes theirs no problem in taking a feed off them for a mixer shower.

I would probably come from the ceiling down though rather than running 2 pipes horizontal from the boxing.

And when you say self tapping I’m assuming self cutting fittings? Just cut the pipes and use 2 compression tee's if your going to do it do it properly

what would i achive from coming down from the cieling? wouldnt i have to come across then down that way? rather than coming straight across?

(the boiler is 2 floors down if that helps so its not a case of gravity is it?)

Sponsored Links
Was the hot water cylinder above the bathroom prior to combi install?

I was saying for neatness nothing to do with pressure. Rather then running 2 pipes across your wall out of the boxing then into the shower, have 2 pipes coming down from the ceiling space evenly spaced and straight into the mixer, giving a neater look. you will have to come across slightly but at least it won't be seen

But how you do it is up to you, merely a suggestion, the main query is answered, just opt out for a thermostatic shower ;)

Was the hot water cylinder above the bathroom prior to combi install?

yes it was a cylinder in the top bedroom above the bathroom

....I was saying for neatness nothing to do with pressure. Rather then running 2 pipes across your wall out of the boxing then into the shower, have 2 pipes coming down from the ceiling space evenly spaced and straight into the mixer, giving a neater look. you will have to come across slightly but at least it won't be seen

i am going to put up a fake wall and tile over it so none of the pipes will be seen :)

....just opt out for a thermostatic shower ;)

opt out for a thermostatic shower? i was thinking of getting a thermostatic mixer? is this not suitable?

Sorry i meant fork out for one, opt out for one, my dialog is backward somtimes, so yes get one :LOL:

and studding out then great will look as nice as pie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back