New MK Socket Outlet wont fit old back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just redecorated a bedroom in my 1970's house and as a finishing touch wanted to fit new MK socket outlets in place of the existing. I did this a few years ago without a problem but now I find the connections at the rear wont fit between the lugs of the old back box. Replacing the back box is not an option. Does anyone know of a reputable brand which would do the job or am I stuck wth the old ones?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are these lugs at the side or the top and bottom ones?
A picture would be great.
We like pictures!

The lugs are at the side, sorry I've not got a photo right now without taking it down again.

I've never had that problem with side lugs. most sockets have the same clearances. Older boxes had lugs top and bottom that can get in the way....
But as SS says. Need pictures of the box, and the new socket so we can give you better guidance.

EDIT. I guess these are standard MK Logic sockets, and not the ones with USB charger?

Sponsored Links
OK, I'll get a photo to you but as I'm not at home right now I'm afraid there will be some delay. Thanks for your help so far.

I fitted an MK USB socket in my youngest's bedroom. I needed a 20mm spacer to supplement the 25mm box sunk in the wall.

OK back home, Power off soon, which means my router goes down too. I'll take some photos and get back. Thanks.

My Apologies, just tried the other socket, worked fine. Looked again at first and noticed some distortion in box which caused the problem with the MK Sockets. Sorry to waste your time but if I can't bend it straight, if I want matching units I'll have to find another brand.

Sorry to waste your time but if I can't bend it straight, if I want matching units I'll have to find another brand.
Sockets are all much the same, dimensionally - so, although your old one apparently somehow managed to fit into the distorted back box, if the MK one won't fit, it's quite possible that other makes of new ones will not fit either.

Kind Regards, John

Screwfix and Wickes sell Schneider, the illustrations of which show much less bulk at the rear, could be worth a try if I need to.

Thanks everyone, I'll have a go over Easter. Let you know how I get on.

Update: The only answer is a new back back box. I'll get one when the snow stops!

I have the same problem with MK single sockets and some old "Ashley" surface back boxes.

The plastic around the lugs is too large and interferes with the plastic on the back of the socket itself, which prevents it from being installed.

On closer inspection the box is so distorted that I have decided to replace it. Not what I want as I've decorated round it but I don't think there's an alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back