Plug socket too deep, can I get a slimmer version?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in the 1980's and a lot of the plug sockets dont have on and off switches, you simply put the plug in and it is on.

I want to replace one of these so I brought a MK socket from B&Q, wired it up and then tried to put back on the wall but realised the back box wasn't deep enough to allow the new socket face and wires back into the hole. So I had to put the old one back on, which isn't easy as its not in the easiest of places to get too.

What can I do? Do I need to buy a new backing box or is there a slimmer backed socket available? As the old style one without a switch seems to fit ok.

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
If you are using fancy flat plate sockets then you may have that problem.

That is because most of the mechanism is hanging out the back.

Normal white accessories and many "non flat" sockets do not have as much of a problem.

Please also.

A plug is the things with the sticky out pins.
A socket is the thing in the wall with the holes in.

Neither of these is a plugsocket.

Socket backboxes have been 25mm or deeper for years now, so try looping cables round rather than folding them at the back of faceplate.

if they are really old you may have the old backbox that has 2 socket screw holes in the top and bottom? as that may also hinder you from being able to screw them back?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have got a feeling by reading on this forum that I have the older style 16mm metal backbox which is probably why it doesn't fit!

How hard would it be to change that for a 25mm deep one? The socket I want to fit is just a standard white one.

I have plasterboard walls so I am guessing there should be enough room behind for it to fit, but without pulling it out, how will I know?

Sorry on the terminology, i'm not an expert, which is why I am asking the questions.

Thanks

Martin

Is this a stud wall or platerboard dabbed onto brickwork etc?

You'll have to get the old one out to make the hole deeper for a 25 or 35mm box. It can be done, with care.

PS. Turn the juice off before you start!

Can you post a photo of the existing socket / box?

It might not be too bad if it's a plasterboard wall.

You can get spacers that fit between the socket front and the wall if the box isn't deep enough

Its a stud wall.

I think i'll take the socket out again this week and see if I can get the back box out and replace it with a deeper one.

Though a spacer could be an option, but then i'd need longer screws I guess!

Thanks

Martin

BTW to remove a dryline box you usually push the lugs as far back as they will go then pull them inwards to release the box.

I have got a feeling by reading on this forum that I have the older style 16mm metal backbox which is probably why it doesn't fit!
Is this a single socket, or double?
Sounds like someone has fitted a shallow box intended for a lightswitch instead of a socket.

Its a single socket and I think you're right its the wrong back box.

The socket needs to accomadate the length of the earth pin.
Therefore if you look for a socket with a thick front then the back will usually be shallower.
If your gonna chop the single box out then you may as well fit a twin back.
How many lugs on the box, shallow switch boxes usually have two lugs as opposed to 25mm etc having four lugs

My back box looks deeper than the one in that pic! I have got a feeling it might be a 25mm after all, sorry! I am going to have to whip it off and measure up. It maybe that I switch the MK socket for a thicker fronted one like in the pic though.

Look at the top (or bottom) edge of the metal box.
A 16mm box will have a single oval cutout in the centre.
25mm or larger will have 2x round cutouts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back