New shaver socket does not fit back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this forum. Sorry if this is already discussed. I just bought a new shaver socket which does not fit the existing back box. The issue is not with the depth but with the distance between the fixing centres. The new socket is 120 mm between centres whilst the back box is less though it looks like a double box. Did they used to make non standard back boxes? My on is about 120 x 80. Where can I get a shaver socket to fit this box? In help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Somebody may have made a non-standard size back in the days of yore, but I've not seen anything but a standard 2-gang box sized shaver socket.

Sounds like you'll need to chop out the old box and put in a new (47mm deep) box.

I don't follow. The new shaver socket is 120 centres, the old box is 120.

It doesn't fit. Why not?

Can you post a piccy of both, please?

Even ancient 1960's double boxes were the same centres.

I read it the distance between the fixing holes of the new socket is 120 mm.

And the overall size of the actual old socket is 120 mm x 80 mm.

In other words, the box isn't tall enough.

I have seen old shaver sockets like this on non standard back boxes.

You will have to replace the back box, or fit a modern deep white pattress over the old recessed box.

The old shaver units you refer to are quite rare, and you won't get a new one like it.

Sponsored Links
Spark wright is correct I.e. the 120 overall size of the bax so fixing centres are at about 108 ish hence won't fit new shaver. Thanks for responses will see what is best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back