New noisy bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the council just installed the below extractor fan in bathroom ceiling but is extremely noisy.

has anyone had these fans installed and are usually fairly noisy?

Trying to upload video so you can hear the noisy.

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers information suggests it should be "whisper quiet running" so maybe get the council to have it looked at. Send them the video as it does make quite a good point!

The unit has a 7 year warranty, which is really long for such a product too

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would suggest they've dropped some rubbish into the fan when they installed it and what you are hearing is it gringding away against the impellor.

I would suggest they've dropped some rubbish into the fan when they installed it and what you are hearing is it gringding away against the impellor.
I think with council workmen it is mandatory to drop rubble all over stuff or under floorboards etc, it needs special training to fill inconvenient places with such successfully large amounts of rubbish :giggle:

It sounds to me like constricted airflow, but there is a chance the impellor may be rubbing on the casing. This can happen if it is distorted, either by screwing to an uneven surface, or by tightening the screws unevenly. If you loosen the fixing screws the case will spring back to shape. It's worth a try.

Dust or grit in the bearing can cause motor noise, but Envirovent fans usually have ball-bearing motors. I don't know if your one has.

Sounds too me like fan is touching casing , maybe they over tighten It to ceiling distorting case , or left a bit of plasterboard in it .
Strange place to put isolation switch .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back