New Oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought two 5ft pieces of planed oak that has been chamfered (not sure of spelling!). They are beautiful but I want to use them in a 300 year old cottage as lintels above a fireplace. Does anyone know as to how to "age" them to look in keeping with the property? Thank you

Sponsored Links
The conventional method of artificially aging oak is to 'fume' it, that is to keep it in an enclosed space with ammonia; the fumes react with the tannic acid in the oak to darken it.

Urine can also be used for this. I've read of cabinet makers faking antiques who put the completed oak furniture in the pig sty for a time. The ammonia from the pigs' urine, together with the kicking, biting and rolling in the mud which the pigs administered, produced the required effect.

Of course, you could always stain it with a dark oak stain. Then thrash it with a bicycle chain to make it look older.

Have no fear on your spelling of chamfered: perfectly correct.

You are quite right, Woodyoulike; that would be the better round. I was being a bit flippant anyway, though I believe that bicycle chains are a favoured tool of the distressing trade.

Sponsored Links
Depends what needs to be chastised. Chains and wooden flooring - not really ;)

The old chain method is good, but a standard heavy chain is better as you get more authentic dents! Apply a coat or two of darkening danish oil thrash some more. scrub it down harshly and reapply more oil.

I used it on some benches as a contrast, where the ends are perfect gloss white. Looks great

Jilly - distressing timber is easy enough to do but, and it's a big but, getting it to look authentic (or 'right') and not obviously faked is a lot harder.

Yes ... chains to create wear, wire-brushing to abrade the surface, fuming, staining (proprietary stuff, rubbed-in soil/soot, etc), drilling fake worm holes, hot soldering irons to singe, all have their place, but it's how they fit together that makes it look right. What you have to do is to go and look at some real old lintels, photograph them, then attempt to replicate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back