New Office Computer Circuits - High Integrity Earth?

It is neither.

It is 230/400.

Go and look it up instead of engaging in yet more pointless arguing against reality.
More rubbish from BAS.
If you really wish to talk about
instead of engaging in yet more pointless arguing
get your voltmeter out and measure it.
Personally I have never found a supply that is near 230V, the majority are 240 or more. So in the real world that's where I (Edit 2, have to removed from my comment.) do all my work and calculations.
There is only so much one can do in
look it up
mode.

Edit, Winston replied while I was typing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But if you are suggesting that todays UK supplies are 230/400 you are sadly disillusioned along with all the other "sheep" who copy what the bureaucrats say.
I am suggesting that the nominal voltage, and therefore what the supply should be called, is 230/400,

buy yourself a voltmeter and measure it.
Buy yourself a copy of the regulations and read it, and stop persisting with your totally unwanted, unhelpful, destructive and waster behaviour of pretending that "nominal" means "average".

More rubbish from BAS.
If you really wish to talk aboutget your voltmeter out and measure it.
Do you really not understand what "nominal" means?

Or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Personally I have never found a supply that is near 230V, the majority are 240 or more. So in the real world that's where I (Edit 2, have to removed from my comment.) do all my work and calculations.
You are required to use a nominal voltage of 230 in your calculations.

Whether you like it or not, it is mandatory.

Of course. Anyone using figures not found in the real world is a danger to himself and his customers.
Anyone not complying with the Wiring Regulations is a liar if he certifies that he has, and is defrauding his customers.

I am suggesting that the nominal voltage, and therefore what the supply should be called, is 230/400,

Suggest what you like. Only an idiot would use a incorrect voltage figure for calculations that could endanger life and limb.

Required and mandatory by whom. Please post the relevant laws and penalties for breaking them.

The figures to use are 230 -6% and 230 +10%

For some calculations the upper value should be used, for other calculations the lower value should be used.

For safety and reliability ( if that concerns you ) it might be sensible to use in calculations those values which may occur in fault situations.

What a load of crap you spout.

No I'm not
being deliberately obtuse
Of course I know what nominal means, and just to make sure I asked Bing:
1) existing in name only.
2)very small; far below the real value or cost.
I'll happily go with these in relation to supply voltage, but I'm sure you'll prefer
3) stated or expressed but not necessarily corresponding exactly to the real value.

I am not
required to use a nominal voltage of 230 in my calculations.
No it is not
mandatory.
What I am required to do is work in a safe environment and if that means I use REAL figures for my calculations instead of some
1) existing in name only
hairy fairy half arse twaddle then so be it.

I have experienced the pitfalls of 'harmonised' kit and installations far too often and the results of 'so called' qualified electricians who don't have a clue when it comes to calculating working current and CBA to measure it.

I work in the real world.

Suggest what you like. Only an idiot would use a incorrect voltage figure for calculations that could endanger life and limb.
It sounds as if, by your own definition, you must be "an idiot", then, if you use 240V for calculating maximum Zs figures - since it will leave some people (more than if you used 230V) with non-compliant disconnection times (which I imagine you would describe as 'endangering life and limb').

It has always seemed crazy to me that such calculations are undertaken using a nominal voltage (any nominal voltage), and I would think exactly the same if any sort of 'average' or 'common' voltage were used for those calculations - since such calculations should be undertaken using the minimum permissible supply voltage if all installations are to be 'safe' (disconnection times compliant with BS7671).

It took them decades to address this (in my opinion) ridiculous state of affairs, but the fairly recent introduction of the concept of Cmin meant that, if one calculated using 230V, only those people with supply voltages between 216.2V and 218.5 would remain at risk. However, if, as you seem to imply, you are calculating using 240V (and Cmin), you will be putting those with supply voltages between 216.2V and 228.0V at risk.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think maximum Zs is a very good example to use.

Surely the result will be the same for all voltages - IF the calculation is done correctly.

What a load of crap you spout.

No I'm not "being deliberately obtuse" Of course I know what nominal means
Ah - that will be when I pointed out that our supply is 230/400, which you know full well is it's official nominal value, you suggested I measure it.

Because, as we all know, nobody who was being obtuse, deliberately or otherwise, would ever suggest using a measured value to argue against the reality of what the nominal voltage is, would they.

It has always seemed crazy to me that such calculations are undertaken using a nominal voltage (any nominal voltage), and I would think exactly the same if any sort of 'average' or 'common' voltage were used for those calculations - since such calculations should be undertaken using the minimum permissible supply voltage if all installations are to be 'safe' (disconnection times compliant with BS7671).
Be

that

as

it

may

the nominal voltage of our single-phase supply IS 230V. No matter whether you like that, or not, it IS 230V.

No matter what the mean, median or mode value is in practice, the nominal value IS 230V.

Mo matter whether you think a different value should be used, the nominal value IS 230V.

Anybody who tries to claim that the nominal voltage is wrong, because a measured average is different IS being obtuse. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide whether that is deliberate, or if they just cannot help it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back